jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Packing for Your New Life

Marriage is a funny thing. We just drove two rainy hours north (and, of course, two screamy return hours south) to celebrate the 45th anniversary of some family friends. Everytime we hear about someone being married for longer than, say, 10 minutes, one of us invariably says...how is that possible? And I usually think, I can't take 45 mintues more!

The funny thing is, we really went up north this weekend for our son. He is absolutely crazy for the couple's granddaughter. Just loves her. But, not in the way you may think. There is no "crush" here. He has just found someone he really, really likes. At some point every day he says, "You know who I miss Mommy? Colleen." When he was invited to this anniversary party, I had to explain how an anniversary is like a birthday, only it celebrates the day you got married. Why celebrate, he asks? Why, indeed, I wonder. To this I have no answer. We go on to discuss the geographical distance between him and his dear friend. It is approximately 1 hour, which in child time is like infinity (direct quote from my son). Then, with all the wisdom of a four-year-old (which, in truth, is often vast and profound), he says, Well, I guess when I get older and Colleen gets older, we can get married. Marriage as solution to distance problem. Of course! It makes sense.

At some later date, I will further explore this marriage phenomenom. I have always intended to write a manual for unassuming brides-to-be, complete with all the things no-one ever told me. For example, because at some point you may want to take them off and throw them, buy your engagement and wedding rings a little bit big. Things like that. Until then, here is my contribution to Poetry Thursday's "freedom of choice" prompt. This was my 2-months after the wedding impression of marriage. Thanks for reading!


Packing for Your New Life: Instructions to the Bride

Take a journal.
You will need the vast
white peace
of the blank pages.

In your trousseau be sure to pack
your oldest jeans
and a warm wool sweater,
deserted beaches by moonlight
can be chilly.

Learn to count stars,
as well as sheep and blessings.

Whether at your local library
or town hall
get directions
to the nearest well.
Keep a map with you and mark
the spot with a big red “X.”
When you find it,
remember all the really important
encounters happen at a well.

Bring a Bible
and some prayer
beads. Even if you’re not practicing,
a little faith
in things small and round,
a little faith
in words wise and leather
never hurt anyone.

Still,
despite holy
admonitions and what your Bible
might tell you, bring a rabbit’s foot.
Luck and your husband
are not idols,
and if you find a really flashy
colored fur charm,
bright purple, hot pink,
you won’t have to rely on stars alone.

5 Comments:

Blogger wendy said...

This poem is spot on. Humour, mixes with longing, and hoping so well. Luck and your husband are not idols. GOTTA LOVE THAT LINE!!.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Good. As the survivor of a bad marriage and partner in a good almost-marriage I agree, balance, faith, humor, peace make a huge difference. No one ever tells us how much we might occasionally dislike the person we love. And who would believe it anyway?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Oh this is fabulous! I have been married for 30 years (God, yes!) and so relate to needing those "vast white peace of the blank pages." And yet behind this humorous, fun to read post, lies some really good maxims for marriage. Great job!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I really liked your first stanza

...the vast
white peace
of the blank pages.

Lovely

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent - wit & wisdom balanced so effectively. Glad I stumbled on this.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home