jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, August 21, 2006

The Music in Silence

I really like the One Deep Breath prompt this week: music. According to legend, or, at least my father's favorite story of his parenting prowess, I have been listening to music since I was born. We had a radio in every room, he proudly declares. You've been listening to music since the day we brought you home. There was even one right by your crib.

And, I have to admit, I am quite proud of this myself. Since an early age, I have been able to sing along to everything from The Irish Rovers (Cats and rats and elephants as sure as you're born, but you're never gonna see a unicorn...and ah, what is that song about the MTA? Oh he never returned, no he never returned and his fate is still unknown...), to Charlie Daniels and Waylon and Willie (Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys), and Lawrence Welk (I could even do a little polka while blowing bubbles!) I have sung in show choirs. Of course, that was mainly high school. By the time I got to college and joined a chorale, I thought I was too cool for it, never showed up, never formally withdrew from it, and got the only F I've ever had in my life!

I love to sing. I love most every kind of music, and yet, my offerings tonight for musical haiku celebrate the music in silence. This after a long summer day with the kids!

Hum of the fish tank,
song of waving goldfish fins.
The house is silent.

No Chopin or Bach,
no Baby Einstein plays now.
The children are down.

Can you hear them hum?
Old lover's voice in the trees.
Cicadas sing on.

Back porch in jammies
invisible summer choir.
Will crickets eat our ice cream?

11 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely! Especially the third one!

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the Irish rovers and their unicorn song. And to continue the list of things we have in common--show choir!

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who played music by his daughter's crib. She is also very musical, and a great, well adjusted teenager, now.
Nice haiku, I love the observance of natural things.

8:51 AM  
Blogger jzr said...

Way back when, when I was very young and pregnant with my son, I loved the Beatles. I'd put the headphones on my belly so he could hear them too. He is a fabulous musician and has always been interested in music!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

LOL I love the sound of silence and now my teenagers are gone, I bask in it :) These were all very good but that first one "song of waving goldfish fins" was awesome!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is the sound of silence, and it's music, to be praised, but it comes across that you find silence in your writing, expecially haiku. Lovely.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

This not only celebrates silence but summer. I really liked

"old lover's voice in the trees"

and your ending question!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

This is a beautiful series of haiku, and my favorite is the third - I'll try to remember this when I'm getting tired of hearing cicada music!

Are you doing any singing these days other than to your babes?
I teach high school choir, and we have show choir (yea!) and we always encourage our kids to keep singing somehow, somewhere, all through their lives!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

The first one perfectly describes the state of my house right now. Even the fish tank is quiet. Amazing.

1:45 AM  
Blogger January said...

Love your haikus, especially the third.

I, too, grew up with a radio in every room. It's nice to be able to meld music and memory into a poetic form.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

The last one is so very sweet. :) I love all of the haikus, though. And how the first one celebrates silence (which is a lovely way of interpreting the 'music' idea.)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home