jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Just came in from the bus, should be playing outside, instead am writing a poem

Last post of NaPoWriMo. I'll have to do a proper tally, but I think I wrote almost 20 poems during the month of April. Now to type them, give them all life. What I learned on NaPo vacation...It is very fulfilling to buy big stacks of poetry books at used bookstores. No, no, Muse, not that. It is very fulfilling to sit down at the moment a good line strikes me and write. Just type it as it comes. Orange juice in a toddler flood on the kitchen floor, be damned!

Here is my poem for the day. I will be spending the better part of this Monday trying to find the write words to describe how the sun looks at this very moment, after the rain stopped and the clouds just disappeared. Like a giant floodlight. The light at the skating rink during midnight skate. Unreal. Sunnier than sun...

After the Rain

Wet cats melt your heart.
Strong men standing on roofs
turn to Atlas before your eyes.
Lawns left untended are greener,
you might eat their blades
by mistake, plant bulbs with a spoon.
The sun is a lamp with new filament.
Have you always been so beautiful?
The mailman floats in on Pan’s wings.
As you shower in stray raindrops
remember Eden. Cover what you must
with cool, wet oak leaves,
leave no fern unfurled.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

You are so fun! Love your poetry...and I like your creative ways to write in the shower or in the moment on diapers (cute)...I think as writers we will write on anything or anywhere...We should make a list of where we write and what we write on? I like making lists of words I like too...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sasha said...

Morning Jilly,

I think you have done a lovely job in capturing that amazing, everything-is-new feeling after a good rain. I've been playing with forms again this week and this poem is so refreshing to read after tangling with meter and rhyme... neat, spare, and sparkling; every word contributing to the whole.

I particularly enjoyed the part about eating the grass by mistake.

5:45 AM  
Blogger angie said...

Love this line: "leave no fern unfurled." Beautiful sonics.

Jill, you're missing all the fun at my blog. I'm rejecting poetry entirely and having an '80's party. Come join! Have some peach schnapps. (Or were we the only ones that drank that?)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Wonderful expression of a world refreshed.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

I would eat grass on purpose.

This is lovely Jilly.

I think it's wonderful how the speaker comes up for air during the catalog of images to gasp "have you always been so beautiful" - just the right pause.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous http://www.academia-research.com/jobs_for_writers.htm said...

Nice post! Thanks a lot.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home