jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

NaPoWriMo - Poem 15

Lucky for me, my husband rarely reads my blog. If you happen by, dearheart, remember, poets lie.

Planting Seeds Before You’re Married

I used to look in the mirror
afterward
and see a whole new woman,
more beautiful
than when we started.
No Venus,
no sweet magnolia,
I was never one to shrug off
a compliment
about my looks,
even when it arrives
post-love
from my subconscious.
Back then you lived
in a house full of broken men.
Hungry gardener,
I had my pick
of bleeding
hearts.
Some nights
sex-mellow
and glowing,
petal-soft in your
worn Dead Head t-shirt,
I would think about stopping
by the living room
on my way back
to the bedroom,
see if your sad, sad
perpetually rocking,
hockey watching roommate
would see me
smell me
reach out
from the roots of his armchair
for me.
I never did.
What would the girl in the mirror
have done
with a lily-white wedding gown?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Of course, with the lie disclaimer at teh beginning, I certainly "did" want her to (whereas, "she never did.") Alas, that's the voyeur in me.

I love these:

"perpetually rocking,
hockey watching"

I could use four more rhytmic rhyming phrases like that. Love it.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous http://thesis911.com/ said...

Great post! Thanks a lot.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home