jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A little free cooking advice


Here is a found poem just for fun. I really like the idea of found poems. Some can be very powerful with just a little revision, a few clever line breaks. Annie Dillard (I think it is her) is a master of the found poem. I'll have to check my book shelves and let you know.


Careful what you wish for. A direct quote from my son, just this minute.


Freezing “Holdovers” – A Found Poem from Betty Crocker’s Dinner In a Dish, c. 1965

What a lovely feeling
of security to open the freezer
to a selection of your family’s
favorite home-
cooked dinners in a dish,

each ready to heat
and serve at the end
of a rushed day
or when unexpected
guests appear. To arrive

at this secure state, double up
when preparing recipes
in this book—serve one
recipe for dinner,
freeze the other.

Below
are guides
for packaging,
freezing,
thawing,

and reheating
casseroles
and other meals
in
a
dish.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you mean i actually do something that qualifies me as a betty crocker do-gooder? i double things and freeze them. i rock!

seriously, this poem just feels comfortable. like the food. great find!

4:17 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Yes! I like how the voice of the cookbook, the recipe narrator, if you will, is soothing all the way through. She makes me feel like I can do it, even without my pearls!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been able to make the found poem work. I'm jealous that you can.

Dana at http://sublimation.wordpress.com

12:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a terrific found poem. You even FIND great poems, not just write them! That's got to be from the 50s, and it just so perfect - I love all sort of manuals and directiosn from that era. In many ways, even as is, they are poetic when juxtaposed against our very different today.

Thanks!

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home