jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Mother as Avian

Brilliant feathered kite
sweet aerie seed finch.

Try and try
to mimic home.
Wind stale blue plumage
about your straw bed.

Hover
follow

sing,
signal
for wing mate.

Nest beneath owl talon,

preen for dark raptor

night
after night.

Beautiful thing
swing fast.
Wait on bright flock.


**************************************************************************


That Dana. She is such a good influence for thinking out of the box. The prompt this week at RWP is to use a random word generator or a list of random words. I finally, finally put to ue my new box of magnetic poetry--bird themed.

And, hey, why is it just when I sit down to write, my lovely adorable children all of a sudden need me to look at them and answer their questions and help them put a belt on? Why, when one minute previous, they were content to build a Lego ship and watch Pinky Dinky Do?

Can you make our pancakes?

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

There are so many lovely lines, but "preen for dark raptor" is my absolute favorite.

I'd love to make your pancakes for you! :-)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

PS - I want me some bird-word magnets.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, you're really flying with this one!

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love "sing, / signal" together! I second ...deb, too, re: the wonderful line "preen for dark raptor."

Chuckling over your remarks, too. Exact same situation with my three year old. Happy happy happy with his action figures; mom begins trying to work on writing; suddenly MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY! I WANT! I NEED! :)

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great set of words. how you arranged them draws out the surreal contrasts. I really like all the concrete images of seed, straw, plumage, so many birdy words.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, I want that kit too.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

This poem is beautiful in a way so deep within my emotions, like a dream I return to in moments of longing.

9:17 PM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

"blue plumage
about your straw bed"
is my favorite!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous getessay said...

Good work. Thanks!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Painting girl said...

You line break with the skill and precision of a top poet.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home