jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, June 02, 2008

WriPoMo anyone?

I so enjoyed writing every day for a month back in April that I've decided to try it again. We shall see. I missed June 1, but that's ok. If you want to join me, let me know in the comments! I'll make a sidebar list!

A Hiccup in the Long, Long Trail

You stumbled
(literally, a tree branch under foot)
on your husband

sharing a laugh
with another baritone
comrade. Laughing in the woods

on a family hike. Kids ahead
wives behind
husbands bringing up the rear

checking it all out
bracing for the bear attack
or the random unleashed
dog racing the trail.

Do you wonder what the joke is?

Do you shake your Devil's Walking Stick
at him, thorns upside the head?

Do you throw your hands
full of treasure
acorns, leaves, twigs
over your head
in a praise be salute
because your man finally
has a friend?
Do you hide
your fears, your extra pounds
circling the middle,
your latest adult
pimple and laugh along?

What would Jesus do?

That’s what the man said
at church this morning,
tucked in the corner
next to the holy water
trying to give you a drink.

What did you do?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the world of my blog, you are a legend. here is where i semi-commit to join you in your daily writing. almost. sort of.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's june 4 already. Can I sort of half-commit. I'll be single-parenting two children for three weeks and it might be just the trick to keep my sane to put pen to paper once a night after the boys go to sleep.

Btw, I found you through ReadWritePoem - you left a comment on the where do you get your ideas poll that interested me, about an Edward Hirsch poem (Rapture) that I want to track down now. That capturing of a moment's perception, it's something I'm trying to do in a particular poem about my older son.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just getting back from vacation and am looking forward to reading your postings that I've missed.This poem is very quietly powerful, which I guess to me means that it sneaks up on you and sticks around. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads in your family :>) AnnieH

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home