jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Pinch, tickle, walk away

Sophie, 15 months, Sends a Message

My daughter bends down to tickle me
as I sit in a chair writing
but grabs instead a roll of mommy
fat, inching over the waist of my pants.
Not so much of a roll as to warrant a muumuu,
say, or a frumpy, flouncy skirted bathing suit,
but enough to pinch with short, chubby fingers.
She is delighted with her find,
pinches, tickles, walks away.
This is my new diet,
my new therapy,
my new writing prompt
to beat the dreaded block:
pinch, tickle, walk away.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you balance on the edge of the cutesy pot without falling in.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like "this is my diet, my therapy" . . . kid pinching mommy fat might make me eat a donut, but then again, i have issues!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I agree with mike_m -- you avoided the too-cute danger that sometimes creeps into poems about motherhood/parenthood/etc.
Pinch,tickle,walk away -- your new writing prompt: a metaphor that could have many meanings, many levels. What does it take to write powerfully? Pinch (pain) tickle (laugh it off, or meet the pain with humor) then get it -- or give it a rest.

I really appreciate this poem. There is so much treasure to be found in being a conscious, connected parent.
Maureen

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home