jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Haves and the Have-Nots

Interesting prompt this week at PoETry ThURsdAy! Spend a week with a poet or poetry you don’t like, don’t normally read, or something that otherwise drags you out of your comfort zone. Ironically, the online writing course I’m taking has me writing character sketches and epitaphs. I am out of my comfort zone on all sides. Except, of course, at home. Still mom. Still very comfortable with unmade beds, Legos on the floor, hide and seek at bedtime…

As I was saying, writing out of your comfort zone. I am not a political poet. Nor do I write about people much, at least not in a political, reflecting on humanity sort of way. I guess I’m more of a personal poet. So here I am this week, making a statement about my beloved suburbs. Comments welcome, encouraged! Help me get this ready to publish in my burb’s little newspaper!

The Haves and the Have-Nots: New Millennium, Suburb Style

One day, the strong men of the have-nots,
the copier technicians, furnace repairmen,
firefighters and mechanics,
are going to pick up their mid-size SUVs,
their Pathfinders, 4-Runners, and Ford Pick-Ups,
carry them across town to the have’s freshly sealed
driveways and drop their sensible loads,
park them right next to the Hummers, the Suburbans
and the Sequoia’s, see what makes a gas guzzler shudder.

Later that same day the have-not wives will pull
their own fast one. Pull on their Wal-Mart camouflage
capris, sneak into the have’s cavernous kitchens,
tiptoe across imported Italian tile, turn the shining
knobs on the convection ovens, and cook the sushi.
While the have-not kids keep the haves occupied
with brown paper sacks of contraband,
MSG, pure sugar, fake orange cheese,
the wives will pour the bottled water
down stainless drains, replace it with tap,
leave sticky-note calling cards:
Come on over sometime.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is fun! Thank you.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jilly...lol...this was great, I loved how you stripped away all the pretentiousness ..cook the sushi..loved it...m

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it, as is! Good luck w/publishing!
--Robin

10:32 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

This is so funny and also has something serious to say. Excellent.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wicked funny. I think the wives are more creative then the husbands. With men, its always cars..and the ever present theme of whose is bigger!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

jilly, jilly, jilly! This is wonderful! What else can I say? I loved it.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly - funny with a point, poetry as satire. I love the "brown paper sacks of contraband", what a perfect image!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! Sneaky and subersive--I love it! I'm still reeling over "cooked sushi!"

And don't kid yourself, this is a politial poem. Good luck with publishing. Very cool.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the thought of sneaking in and pouring the bottled water down the drain and replacing it with tap. it makes me actually consider such adventures. :)

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home