jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Hooray for books!


If you have read my blog before, you know I am a believer in synchronicity. Synchronicity happens. Sometimes, I think things, and they happen. I am not psychic, just intuitive. It freaks my husband out. I have learned to live with it. And, for me, it’s an after-the-fact kind of thing. Like today’s prompt at onedeepbreath.blogspot.com It’s books! Books! I had a book weekend and was thinking how I needed to write about it!

Hooray for books! My favorite obsession. I finally, finally visited my favorite used book store this weekend. On the way there, just as we were about to turn left, I spotted on the right a huge white tent, 20 long tables, filled with books! A little country library having a book sale! Oh the joy! Oh the books! Bags and boxes of books! My plan is to make a series of linking haiku just using the titles. Ah, well. Did I mention the kindergartener and the one-year-old?

Here are my haiku about the one thing competing with cats and fish for space in my house…

Books seem to find me.
Clever titles, bold covers.
I am never lost.

It’s gone beyond books
scent of ink, cool, glossed covers.
Haven’t read in weeks.

Box holds twenty-odd
garage sale bag breaks at ten.
Never enough books.

Daily siren song
smooth straight spines, bending the truth.
Just who owns who here?

Hungry chickadee
pulling smooth books from full shelves
fed on words alone.

8 Comments:

Blogger jzr said...

Oh, I love it!! Especially the last one!!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great. I love that you've started including pictures, too. She's so cute. And so smart to be reading novels at such a young age . . .

10:28 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

These were a delight to read and a window into your love affair with books. LOL Love that picture ;)

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All so good, but I love the idea of a hungry chickadee, fed on words.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Ian russell said...

i don't know what a chickadee is, but it sounds like fun!

i love the sense of pace i get from your set of haiku - like a day in haiku: at the book sale! nice one, jilly! :o)

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the chickadee "fed on words alone"

3:49 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

I wish I were fed on words alone! Unfortunately, I like to munch while I'm reading (bad habit, must break it).

I love books, too! What was your best find that day?? :-)Chrissy (singalullaby.typepad)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Ah, I love me some books as well. We have this great non-profit where they give books for free. You can bring some books and take some books. A little piece of heaven.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home