jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Solitude: Where Can a Mom Find It?

Oh, I didn’t think I would have anything to contribute to this week’s http://www.onedeepbreath.blogspot.com prompt. The reasons are many and varied.

My husband just had a week off…at home. Am I alone in feeling less than relaxed, relieved, rejuvenated? It was like having another kid visiting for the week. A kid who cooks and does laundry, but a kid all the same. Add to this the constant mommy dread I feel at the prospect of my first born going off to all-day kindergarten, and the ever-present, "two weeks until classes start again, will I have enough students? do I have enough exciting art lessons?," and you have quite simply—the reluctant writer.

Solitude is just something I don't have anymore. Even once the kids are in bed, I have a hard time getting to solitude, traveling past the dishes waiting, the books waiting, the cats waiting, so much waiting, even the waiting is wailing.

However, my muse is good. So good. She never fails me. She always shows up when I least expect her. And I have some haiku! Maybe not great haiku, but haiku nonetheless. I am going to work on this topic all week.

Now, if only the new kitten will let me type this. (Friends and family who know me, and fear it is only my husband and children keeping me from achieving crazy cat lady status, please avert your eyes. It is true. We have another cat!)

On to the haiku…

Knife through strawberry
music of child picking fruit.
Sharp blade makes no noise.

Only in the car
snap of twin seatbelts, doors slam.
Mother’s muse can sing.

Loud yellow school bus
lumbers up, swallows first son.
Such silence pains me.

In the shower, soap.
In the garden, ladybugs.
Where is the silence?

Solitude, one soul.
One banana hangs, browning.
The bread is not made.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice haiku, you must be a talented lady. My daughter also produces great poems out of a chaotic life. Believe, me, the time with little goes in the blink of an eye.

12:52 PM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

I'm impressed your husband cooks and does laundry! Mine just makes small messes all over the house when he's home.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Girlplustwo said...

Alone time is very hard to find...and when you have little of it, it certainly hinders our creativity. Sounds like you've captured it anyways. Rock on w/ the haikus!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

these are great, I am really loving your little glimpses into daily life.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

These were great! I loved the image of a hanging brown banana ;)

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I especially love the first one Great ideas!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home