jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Message From Your Body

What the Wife Learned from a Farmer

When it has been a long time since being touched
a fortnight since fondling, brushing, the slightest shudder.
When it has gone that long, forgo the clothes.
Lose the apron,
the cardigan,
the cotton.
Let them all fall away.
Fill the hallways with honey from the hive
Roll and roll and roll.
Coat your body in gold,
Let the bees speak to your silence.

Sleep well, warm from the heat of insect love.
Sleep all night with the window open.
In the morning leap from the slickest roof,
step out into the snow, greet each flake with a kiss
stand on your head,
bury your face to the tips of your ears
until only the burrowing worms can hear your cries.
Spread wide your arms and legs,
let a storm fill you,
let ice sculpt your joy.

When you have exhausted the elements
drag your frozen body to an open field.
Rest astride a rusted tractor, embrace
the tremble of one hundred years of forward motion,
Dress yourself in horse hide and wilted grass.
Wait for a lone owl to clasp your shoulder,
turn your head round and round
and round on your weary neck,
point you in the right direction.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is a terrific poem! I love beginning with the absence of touch, first off. I thought it was going to take me someplace completely differently because of it though - so I was so surprised and pleased to find this commanding tone, the line after line of directives of what to do - it's very well done.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I really like this! This doesn't seem like you've been trapped in winter with kids at all! You have some great images. The bees, insect love, drag your frozen body to an open field, horse hide...great stuff!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Rolling in honey, burying yourself in snow..... Excellent images here.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I love this (again), Jillypoet! It's candy for the mind.

12:04 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Excellent! That's the only word I can think as of now.


gautami
In-between state of consciousness

12:34 PM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Whoa! Were you in the zone or what when you wrote this! This is fabulous! It started off just so beautifully and then really took off like a storm. My first read through was an absolutely joy like riding a roller coaster for the first time. I doubted that I would be amazed again with the next line time after time, but incredibly, I was – this poem just kept getting better and better. WOW!

4:50 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Thanks everyone. I am hoping for time to read everyone else's and comment, but we are snowed in at my parents', so, not sure how much time I will get. Thank you, though. I was not sure if this was too "out there." It felt good writing it, but I'm not sold on content. I'm still brewing some other ideas in my mind, fallow ground, more farmer stuff...

5:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your imagery is fantastic! Thank you!

12:46 AM  
Blogger twilightspider said...

As always, you are far too modest. I don't think you realize the strength of your own words and the amazing places that your imagination takes all of us. This poem is a delight from start to finish - it begs me to listen to it, to do each and every directive with a smile. My favorite line: "Let the bees speak to your silence." Chills.

Sorry for not writing you back last week, I've been bad about my internet usage this week - but thank you so much for all of your kind words - it means much coming from one who is as talented as yourself.

1:12 PM  
Blogger J.B. Rowell said...

Fill the hallways with honey from the hive
Roll and roll and roll.
Coat your body in gold,
Let the bees speak to your silence.

Wow!

7:28 PM  
Blogger angie said...

What reckless abandon the lucky Wife has learned!:) "Rest astride a rusted tractor" is PERFECT, absolutely wonderful. You are a master of rhythm, of weaving images together seamlessly, of creating a trance and not breaking it with one misplaced word or phrase. This works, girl. Awesome job.

PS - I love, love, love the owl at the end. That little addition locked this poem in my favorites of all time.

10:13 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

bravo!!When you can't be with the one you love...love the one your with...even by yourself. Live life. Feel life. Bee Life!! YAY for you. good job!

10:17 PM  
Blogger mareymercy said...

This is not "out there" in a bad sense - very inventive and evocative.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Good god, jillypoet, what I would give to have your ear for language, to be able to write lines like:

Fill the hallways with honey from the hive
Roll and roll and roll.
Coat your body in gold,
Let the bees speak to your silence.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home