jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, January 15, 2007

As Seen in the Ice


There are reflections on all sides here in the northeast, seized as we are in the middle of an ice storm. Perfect day for reflecting, the prompt at One Deep Breath. Perfect for gazing at what stares back in droplets of ice, gasping at what echoes back in the daily indoor cavern of life on the inside—inside of a small suburban cape, replete with two young–uns 5 and under.

Ice coats rose bush buds.
See four seasons on all sides,
Spring in the shadows.

Look! I drew a bike!
A glimmer of confidence
in orange marker.

Imagine an imperfect diamond. Imperfect, yes, but resplendent with luminosity, with clear reflections on all sides, top, bottom, back, front. This is our little house, caught up on all sides by drooping fir trees, branches heavy with ice, short, green blades of grass, bent double with a crystal coating, shivering squirrels, made a shade grayer by a thin layer of ice.

Looks like night at noon.
Sun shines in talk of summer.
Light found in ice storm.

Bang trim reveals eyes,
toddler with grown woman face.
No mirror needed.

And here we are, the kids and I, skating along inside. Like a multi-faceted snow globe with real live people inside. Shake us up and read our haiku as they fall silently down…

Iced sunflower seeds
frozen in yellow feeder.
Birds hunger glistens.

Ice diamonds on trees,
squirrels, birds, children inside.
Stillness is a sound.

And last, because mommy’s shower always, always comes last…

In steamy mirror
Mother reflection or me?
Edges are blurred.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a pretty poem. I love the snow globe imagery, the haiku falling down.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I like the way you took us into the house and outside into the cold, back and forth, unwinding your day. Beautiful.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I loved the glimpse into your world and the cherry on top at the end ;)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

The bike drawing and the last one...really nice. The photo is amazing.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I enjoyed reading this. Stunning photo too.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

I love Haiku.

We are living in a similar ice castle. Of course, it's a nicer environment when the electricity is working!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad I moved away from the ice. Still, it has a beauty that is unsurpassed.

Wonderful story you have woven here.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely series of haiku - the ice, the child's drawing and the glimpse of a familiar face. Well done, you!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These were all just so pretty- it's amazing how snow and ice can be so inspiring!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful series. I like the tree photo but please don't send that weather my way.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the "birds hunger glistens," which is very powerful, and the snowglobe imagery (brilliant). And of course, the last one. I see my mom in the mirror often, and hear her in my voice more. Nicely done.

(And no, I haven't seen the Sponge Bob "eye" thing, thank God. I can only imagine.)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds youl got through the ice safely. We only had a bit of it, and didn't even lose power.

The storm produced wonderful lines. I hope you tuck this post away in your journal. It makes for a great "back when" story.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really like the way you blurred the identity edges of me/the mother with the steam from the shower...and I LOVE saying rose bush buds...it makes my mouth happy and I don't even like roses...thanks

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...all of the haiku are incredible! But the line that really renders me speechless is "spring in the shadows".

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother reflection indeed! Love your haikus. Very reflective!

Why is it that Mom showers are always last?

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home