jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Love Poems from the Produce Section

1. The Apples Speak

It is what it is.
Some of us are soft and red.
Some of us are voluptuous beyond belief.
We will come to you hard
as rubies.
When you rip into our rigid flesh
we will slide across your teeth
thick as menses.

2. Avocado Dreams

Inside my armadillo coat
I am slick as oil.
Choose me.
Choose me.
I will slip down your throat
quick as a lover leaving your bed,
peeling satin sheets
in one long tangle at your feet.
You will always remember me,
always remember me.
I am the green fields
of your wild horse dreams.
As close to you as
the creamy marrow of your bones.

3. Sacred Voices of Sweet Potatoes

Touch us.
Touch us.
Just touch.
Shove your rough digits
down deep into the pit
of our artful pyramid.
We will not topple.
We will not fall.
We are stacked as tight
as bound as an Egyptian orgy.
Feel how our coarse skin
sloughs away your sins.
We are manna.
Take. Eat.
Devour us in the raw.

4. And Finally, the Banana

What can I say?
If you put your hands on this oar
of mine, I will row with you straight
across the desert.
No stiff wind needed.
Blow across the bend of my harp.
Swallow my simple tune.
Take me in both fists
and throw. I am a boomerang
that will come back
and back
and back to you.
I promise.

7 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Grrrrrr-ate! This is not Tony the Tiger, either. This is Pepek, but one of your many admirers. I love this, I love your images, your words, the way they spark in my mind!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sex & food - a rich vein mined by D.H. Lawrence & countless advertisers & exploited here with great wit & colour.

1:28 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Very evocative. Sensuous too.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Wonderful, Jilly, some amazing images here!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Carolee said...

your imagination is so amazingly showcased here ... the places you went and the images you created are brilliant. brilliant, i say!

9:28 PM  
Blogger UL said...

I will remember your poetry and its images every time I encounter the veggies and fruits..thank you. Beautiful take.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

You are so inventive in these poems, and adventurous. The way you meld references to the human body with the fruit - it drives home how our whole experience of the fruit is with the body, our five senses. Here you highlight the sense of taste and touch so well.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home