jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

I never promised you...

The Intro to My Third NaBloPoMo poem...

Wanna read a funny poem?,
I asked my husband expectantly.

I can't. I'm busy.
The pork chops are coming out any minute.

We're going out tonight.
On a date.

Just wait until I jump
up on stage and tear
my clothes off
at the acoustic guitar concert.

He'll make time then.

And now, the actual poem...

God Hears One Too Many Promises and Decides, Finally, to Go Out of Business

A half-cocked Christmas Christian sitting on a bench
outside Heaven’s gate says to God,
Dude! Promises naturally imply forever
and who can get a handle on forever, slippery frog
?

You have only yourselves to blame,
says God, sober philosopher.
Never drink again.
Never cheat,
swear,
hit,
punch,
kick the dog.
Have you people looked
in the mirror?
You’re all repeat offenders
.
Promise. Ha!
Cross your heart. Ha!
Keep your prom dresses on
.

***

Ah. Back from the show. Many blessings. Even the husband. Thankful for sushi. Thankful for Sapporo. Thankful for Robert Fripp & His League of Crafty Guitarists. Thankful for cool night, silver stars, and the home I have, the home a DeadHead we met doesn't have. Thankful I am still a believer in the basic goodness of the human heart.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolee said...

we're supposed to leave our prom dresses on? oh s***. there's trouble at the pearly gates waiting for so many of us.

12:47 PM  
Blogger fuquinay said...

Robert Fripp. Now there's a blast from my past.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

I am forever lost - this clinches it.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Love this intro as much as the poem! What fun...
Love,
D.

12:28 PM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

Love the last line.LOL.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home