jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Anyone want to play poetry with us?

Hello! Hello! I had such a great writing day! I met with Polkadot Witch and we talked about life and writing and then we wrote! You can check out our process, our prompts and our freewrites at fertile ground

We also have news! Every year, or every few months, I email my local poet friends and try to garner enough warm bodies to form a weekly or bi-weekly poetry group. It usually works for awhile, then someone moves away, or we all get busy, or have babies, you know...

This year, after I sent out my usual email, I thought, hey! why not a virtual poetry group? So I crossed the Hudson River (virtually) and twisted pdw's arm (not really) and we created poem.

Please join us. It's a different sort of poetry site. Each month we will read a poem by a well-known or lesser-known poet, then discuss for a week. The next week we will write from a prompt based on the poem (and maybe other poems like it). The next week we'll have everyone post links to their poems, and the final week, well, it's a poetry free-for-all.

Truth-be-told, I also really miss being in the academic world and discussing poetry. I'm hoping poem. will fill that need, too. Not to mention it would be certain divorce if I suggested to my husband that I might want to go back to school for my doctorate in poetry (which I would so love to do), because I'm not even done paying for grad school.

There! All the news that's fit to print. We hope you'll play poetry with us!

5 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds great, I'd love to become an academic and just discuss poetry and other literature all day

10:00 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

wouldn't it be great? AND get paid for it...

1:55 PM  
Blogger WorldClassPoet said...

Sounds fun.

6:14 PM  
Blogger January said...

Excellent idea!

10:46 AM  
Blogger susan said...

Hey Jilly,

I'm in, but I am a true scatter-brain. I've lost the password for Fertile Ground. Please resend.

I also need to set up a calendar so I can remember the days when each site I enjoy publishes their new exercises. I think I have found just the ones I really want to participate in.

If you have a gif/link for FG, I'll posted it at BES. I already have you listed in my drop down box on both sites.

And with that Happy Friday!

Please join us at The Last Piaster. Our aim is to present writing exercises designed to sharpen old poetic tools and provide you with new ones. New piasters will be posted on Sundays. Periodically, we’ll ask permission to share your drafts.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home