jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Shed Your Skin Only When You See the Light of Her Eyes

I would eat the cat
if her calico fur would coat
my insides. Soft white cream
tea with whole milk
bitter black melted chocolate.

Swallowing a living thing.
Will this bring me closer
to God or death?

Bringing the beauty in.
Like carrying your unborn child
forever. Never giving in,
pushing out, releasing perfection.

I would swap yellow slanted eyes
for useless blue
if only the borrowed light might reflect danger.

Caught in the act
I will apologize to the children
Yes. I love kitty.

Forgive me, husband.
The crow you cooked
burnt my tongue. Take the tongs
you used to turn the bird.
Leave the crusted feathers.
They line my throat
while you retrieve the cat.

I have done this before.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow -- beautifully provocative. my favorite line: "Caught in the act / I will apologize to the children/ Yes. I love kitty"

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating point of view in this poem. I have often said that something was so beautiful I wanted to eat it up but I would have never thought of all the wonderful imagery which you placed in this poem.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Terrific poem, twitch! Love the way it "feels" in my head. The words have a life of their own.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way the last line stands alone. It introduces a new tone and sends me back to the beginning to read again for clues to how you got to this line.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home