jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Love You - Poetry Gong #10

I love you.
I start small,
speak to the peaches.

No flowers
hiding my face
roses leading

for me. Just three
short syllables, grapes
rolling down a throat

choking the owner,
a girl or a man shopping
for fresh fruit, Sam the Butcher’s

best meat. Grilling
the enemy burns
bridges. Say I love

you
to pieces
of beef, veal cutlets.
Chicken kabobs kick

start conversations
daily here at the market.
Aisle of ewe. Olive

juice. Circle an onion
uncover the sweetest
avocado. I love you.

When the fruits,
the meat and the vegetables,
are thrashing in your basket

mating in exotic
combinations, look away.
When the bag boy asks

paper or plastic, say
I love you.
Leave him watching the orgy.

**********************************************************************

This poem is in response to this: http://mygorgeoussomewhere.org/2008/10/20/i-love-you-poets-getting-over-themselves/#comment-4311

Note to self: it may be stronger with a "you" instead of an "I." Actually, it kind of shifts perspective. Hmm...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so fantastic. Really. I find the grocery store to be inspiring.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Andy Sewina said...

You've just taken supermarketology to a new level. Aisle of ewe... Phew!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home