jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How long has this poem been in the fridge? And who let this woman in the kitchen?


I am in total agreement with PoeTry ThursDaY this week! There is no place in your life you can't find a poem. No place! Had I but the time, I'll bet I could write a series of poems on running out of diapers, making pancakes without having eggs, cutting moldy strawberries, cursing the grocery store, and the heart stopping sight of a great yellow snake of a bus, sliding to your door before yesterday's double knots are even taken out of today's sneakers. See! Poetry is everywhere!

Today, for your reading pleasure, poetry is in my kitchen. Lucky for you, I do not know how to take a photo of my kitchen and dongle or doggle it to my computer. Toggle? At any rate, I don't know how to get pictures from my digital camera onto my computer. I could learn, but then my husband might feel under-appreciated, and we can't have that, now, can we?

Here's my poem! Thanks for reading!

Who Says a Working Mother Can’t Write?

Sister, put your apron on, pull the strings tight
and write an ode to artichokes.
Extol the virtues of cold spaghetti
and day-old doughnuts as lunch.
It’s all gestalt if you look at it with a full belly.

Don’t just tiptoe through the dust bunnies.
Take the muse for a ride on the back
of a remote control Spiderman motorcycle.
Let her fall in love with the superhero,
let the web-slinger dump her for Barbie,
let her feel her pain through your pen.

Take a seat, you and the muse, on the dusty, cat-hairy floor.
Put your backs up against the cool, cool oven,
soothe your aching hearts on string cheese and cheerios.
Chase the carbs with some Mott’s shots,
just tilt your heads back and drink the purple down.
Now, get out the broom, sweep up some alphabet magnets,
throw a poem up on the fridge.

The kitchen is always here, grab a knife and write.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kami said...

Thanks for your comment! I love your blog. We like most of the same music, and the kiterunner is one of my top faves! I used to be a poet (back in high school), your site gives me hope that one day, amidst the child rearing (i'm 30, just starting out) I too might find my muse in my daily surroundings. That is, if I get to be a stay at home mom I'll have the time? How do you like NY?

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jilly,
I could not agree with you more that poetry is everywhere!I think you have got that wonder spirit that makes poet a poet!
Bravo..loved your poem!
cheers!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If work-at-home mother's don't have enough to write poetry about, then no one does. This was fun.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a lot of fun! Poetry *is* everywhere -- trouble is remembering it sometimes. Thanks for sharing. Nic

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course, this was amazing! so much to love here as always. and i love the cheery face in the picture. how very martha of you. :)

10:09 AM  
Blogger rel said...

Jilly,
You are so right..there is a poem in everything,and you have done it justice today!
Nicely done.
rel

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is so great! This is definitely a poem I will come back to! One of my favorite kinds of poems to read are those relentless directive poems that come from such a place of passion. I love the endless lists of things, the weaving of seriousness with a sense of humor.

Two of my favorite "mother" books of poems are Beth Ann Fennelly's Tender Hooks and Jenny Factor's Unraveling at the Name.

Incidentally, I encourage you to submit this poem to mamazine.com...it would be a great fit there.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Ah, jilly! Again! I can only say how I love your stuff. I've done it all, you bring it back!

*applause*

4:04 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PS You have such a MIND! Such an ATTITUDE!

4:06 PM  
Blogger madd said...

Jilly...so much fun!! motts shots..grab a knife and write..love it love it..m

9:09 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Such a terrific read! So lively and vibrant!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xbiwin : poemspedia.com
More than 5000 Love Poems in a very user friendly interface with little ads

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home