jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Return from Neverland

Well, it's been a long time since I posted to my blog. I'm so out of the loop I can hardly remember how to blog. Blogger amnesia.

Night arrives on cue,
bathtime, bedtime, books, sweet dreams.
Where did the sun go?

The serenity I wake every day hoping to find through writing has eluded me. I've hardly written a poem since April, National Poetry Month. I've filled another six-shelf bookcase with poetry, memoir, nature books. Even used book stores have lost their appeal. But I persevere. I think poetry. Occassionally, I dream poetry.

Words come after dark,
guests with no RSVP.
You are all welcome.

I turned to One Deep Breath for a haiku prompt that might inspire me. Once, twice. Third time's a charm. Thank you haiku genies!

Late day thunderstorm
sun loses to rain.
Nightfall is cheated.

Pitching tent in rain,
clouds mask arrival of night.
Not sure when to sleep.

Finally, cicadas.
I've been waiting for your call.
Your answer, my sleep.

Cicadas vibrate.
Invisible bugs moan, hum.
Night song of first love.


Thanks for reading! Is anybody out there? OK. Haiku is done. Readers despising mommy-talk, please stop here!

Now I'm starting to remember the thrill of blathering on with no guarantee that anyone is listening. And, I am remembering the theraputic effect (affect? still can't get them straight, MA in English be darned) that writing has. It was the loss of my dear writing pal Polka Dot Witch that halted my writing. A little. Not lost, as in dead (phew!), just lost, as in no longer blogging. She introduced me to blogging.

Today, I think, it was a chance meeting with a mom-writer at the pool, the stomping ground of stay-at-home hair & nail types, that spurred me on to get writing! (And is it really chance? Chance or the universe or God nudging me, just as my two-year-old pushing her baby doll in a giant stroller almost nudged the other writer-mom's two-year-old who also demands to "push it Mommy!" Oh, sorry. Run-on. I'm just so thrilled to be blogging again.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Deirdre said...

Welcome home. I was hoping you'd be back soon.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Finally, cicadas.
I've been waiting for your call.
Your answer, my sleep.

Particularly like this one.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Oh, how nice. I like the assortment with common thread. Comment: title could be 'jillypoet: mom writing'. :)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Carolee said...

i miss blogging. a lot. perhaps i'll figure out a way back in.

i miss you blogging just as much. glad to get a fix of it today.

i miss you yourself even more ... were you lost like me?

love, your paper-town-writer-sister-artist-mother friend, the still alive, still kicking out the windows "polka dot witch"

2:15 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

I enjoyed all of these. Maybe the surprise of 'Where did the sun go?' struck me the most. I get that.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Kris Underwood said...

Hey, nice to see you're back.

2:44 PM  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Get writing: it's a wonderful escape for it all and you can do it everywhere.

4:31 PM  
Blogger angie said...

really nice to see you back again!

I'm kind of in the same boat, I think. Just not motivated to write, or even read much. I buy books and stack them up. I'm hoping it's something to do with summer...or the puppy...

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home