jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

NaPoWriMo #29 - Almost there!

Truth or Dare

Truth. Each morning I buck
the mirror, try fixing
my Barbie face by (false) memory.

Truth lies like an antique
quilt, hanging by loosened stitches
lonely on a hand-made coat rack.
False wedding bands disintegrate
on yellowed cotton. Marriage bed.
False. False. I dare you to lie down.

Confess. Your legs bend only
at the knee. Where and when
you dare to bow
and scrape is a matter of taste,
a falsehood that wives make
their own casseroles, their own
decisions. We all hold recipes.

I dare you
to kiss
another man.
The truth is
I would love a kiss
from any man
if only I dared
turn the other cheek.

Truth or dare.
What is your weapon
of choice?
How do you live
your one warm and cozy life?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course, i'm in love with this. kissing other boys is a theme that intrigues me, of course, but i'll save the dares for private emails. :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

I really like "Confess. Your legs bend only / at the knee," though I'm not at all sure I understand it.

Are "wedding bands" some kind of quilt pattern?

(I'm trying to think of someone who has a warm and cozy life, but I suppose that's not the point -- the point is that the narrator thinks the addressee does.)

Anyway, I think it's a very good poem, even if I am at sea sometimes . The sea's not a bad place to be.

1:28 AM  
Anonymous research paper said...

Good post! Thanks a lot.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home