jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, May 05, 2008

The Hospital Diaries - Verse 1

Waiting for the Doctor to Call

A cat’s growl is a fearsome affair. It is so unexpected. It is as if a dog, in a moment of great stress, meowed. And Lama’s growl was like a rolling crescendo of bass drums.
- Derek Tangye


My father does the Jumble every morning. EPKOD. Can you get that one? It’s POKED. That’s the way he sits right now. Poked in at least seven different places, and I’m sure I chose that number, completely on the soft end (soft is a term nurses use for low blood pressure, as a matter of fact) in a respectful nod to Jesus and God, a sort of biblical reference in the hope springs eternal vein. Seven deadly sins. Seven signs heralding the end of the world. Speaking of veins. I understand you repaired the aneurism hassling his kidney veins. What, exactly is the difference between veins and arteries. Major and minor? If you major in surgery, do you minor in humanity? In all fairness, the surgery was a success. If you were playing the lottery, you would have all the numbers, plus the bonus ball. Speaking of lucky numbers, try these for today: 9 -32-37-45-52. Just found these in my father’s pen-scratch on an April 24 square of cat calendar. Bonus number 41. So, you may have heard, a cat’s growl is fearsome. Unexpected. As if a dog, a pug or a Great Dane, in a moment of great stress, meowed. Just a bit of trivia. Do you recall if my father may have growled? I suppose not, what with enough morphine to knock out an elephant. Interesting choice of metaphor, doc. FISHTE. VEALE. They may appear as misspelled items on a fancy menu. Not at all. Not everything is at it appears. Hope springs eternal. Leave me a message. I’ll be waiting for your call. I have the lucky numbers tucked in my pocket.

*********************************************************************************

All is not going as hoped. Today is another day. There is only one thing to do--hope for the best. Believe.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep you all in my thoughts.

4:52 PM  
Blogger chicklegirl said...

I've been going through something very similar with my step dad in the last three weeks. My heart, my thoughts, my prayers go out to you and your family.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry y'all are going through this. Your father sounds cool - he plays The Jumble. Very sweet.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to do the scramble as a kid. My dad liked it, too.

Just wanted to say that I love your voice. I haven't read all the posts about your dad -- hope it's not too trite to say I hope he pulls through.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home