jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

NaPoWriMo #30 - Oh Yeah!

Spreading Like Wildfire: Notes From a Fireman’s Daughter

Fire is nature’s housekeeper. Smokey the Bear says so, and he is one of the most honest men in my life, so I believe him. I invite fire into my home. The whole family is in need of some serious keeping. Dear neighbor, Hello! We will be conducting a controlled burn here at our place. Mind the drapes. Mind the children. Mind your business or we’ll scorch you, too. Hot head. Hot spot. Is that any relation to the G-spot? What is it with all these children now-a-days (mind the children, I tell you), playing with matches, setting fires when they should be setting goals, setting the table, keeping house, gosh darn it. Fire is nature’s housekeeper. Maybe the children know something we don’t.

**************************************************************************

Not one of my strongest poems this month, but it has potential. And it's fitting that it's about fire, as my dad, having surgery tomorrow, is a 60-some year veteran fireman.

I have thoroughly enjoyed NaPoWriMo. I plan to try and keep it up, maybe for a year. We'll see. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, and you're right -- there is something here!

you know i'm thinking about you and your parents. you know where to find me if you need anything!

hugs from your friend poet ...

10:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been wondering about your father but did not want to pry. Prayers to all of you, and the surgeon. AnnieH

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from Therese--I, too, sincerely hope that your father's surgery went well. Do you know about the poem "The Firefighter's Daughter" by Siobhan Brannigan? It was published in an older issue of PEBBLE LAKE REVIEW. One tender part of that poem is: "In her dreams...they gently blow bricks back into place."

9:47 AM  
Blogger January said...

Congrats on finishing the month! Woo hoo!

Hope things improve with your dad.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this a lot!

i am often tempted to set it all on fire...when i am not busy trying to keep it all frm burning

my grandpa grew up in a firestation; i am working on a major piece about that, about this area

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home