jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Red Sky in Morning

I am by no stretch of the imagination a morning person. Never have been, and, I'm afraid, never will. But, I do love the old sailor's adage: "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning." I have always loved that, from the time I was old enough to be out in a rickety old faded lime green rowboat at dusk. And, you know, I even loved, well, really liked, a sailor once. So here's to sailors and little green rowboats. And, hey, here's to morning.

Red Sky in Morning

Perched on the bare branch of longing
the cardinal listens through a window in shadow.
Fallen leaves descend into earth
mulch into paperweights of regret
fallen
fallen
fallen
like some English fancy woman
slipping from her petticoats
for a Valentine of peace.

When the red bird flies round
to the back porch of celebrity
no one recognizes him
except the woman from abroad.
Her palm opens
offering a fistful
of shining ruby marbles,
gleaming beads of jubilation.
The cardinal takes them then,
each into his beak and he is
falling
falling
falling
from the weight of her satisfaction.

5 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

What a fascinating poem - lots of intriguing images to think about here

5:59 AM  
Blogger sundaycynce said...

I totally agree with Catherine! Favorite line: fallen leaves...mulch into a paperweight of regret. Curious, fascinating, truly thought provoking!


I hope I haven't left the same thing twice. The first time the whole comment screen was word including the word verification.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Fascintating and intriguing poem. I especially love the image of the cardinal, which is a bird I've never seen but would love to.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this line: "When the red bird flies round
to the back porch of celebrity
no one recognizes him"

Very nice!

12:22 PM  
Blogger [a} said...

omg that poem has all these gorgeous metaphors..
so imaginative!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home