jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Seventeen Days Later, the Poet Returns to Peel Some Fruit














Peeling the Clementine: Lunch in the New Millenium

Peeling the clementine to the soothing strains
of the mandolin, or is it a lute, I think
God is in this fragrant peel. He is scenting
my fingertips. Slowly sectioning the fruit, I reflect.
Smooth, cool, slightly variegated, this tiny orange
is a short fat worm filled with vitamin C. A healthy treat.
The lute plays on. Bach in E minor. The baby spits
at the old gray cat, limping on the scarred-wood table.
No soup for you sunken-eyed ancient one.
Silver Elmo spoon to teeth. Plastic Elmo bowl to table.
The baby plays chopsticks opposite a public radio virtuoso.
Noodle-Os wrap around her tongue, soft beige snakes.
Yellow Campbellā€™s broth runs down her chin.
May it be the only clear liquid to ever do so. Kenehara.
Salt over my left shoulder. Spit. Spit. Spit.
All I want for my girl is a bowl of fine soup,
a silver spoon and the symphony of plastic bowls colliding.
In this world of body counts, Crayola-colored terror levels,
this is the blessing I will wish for on every birthday candle,
every falling star, every twist of an apple stem.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was lovely- very visceral.
I hope all your wishes for your little girl come true...

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zie Gezunt!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, welcome back, jillypoet! What a great poem for the New Year! I think, well, Zie Gezunt! Blessings!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great way to get back to the blog...with a juicy poem and a beautiful wish. i continue to admire your consistent delivery of food-based poetry. i'd posted about feeding poems to my children last week for poetry thursday--if i wrote about fine soup, perhaps they really could eat the words. :)

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jillypoet! I love your poem, love how you've smoothly brought the everyday things in, like Elmo and Campbell's. Aren't we lucky to be American, in many ways? Best wishes to you and your family in the new year!
(oh, and I changed my blog address - no more bedlam in mommyville)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely - making wishes for the world while peeling oranges and listening to Bach....

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a citrusy 2007...

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been to my house lately? This is my nighly dining experience. Great poem--the last line really resonates with me.

Happy New Year, Jilly. I wish you all the best for your writing in 2007.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love the way you've expressed the fervor of such simple wishes. Thanks for sharing this one.

Happy New Year!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous http://grandresume.com/professional said...

It's a great post! Thanks for it.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home