jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The deer ate all my tomato flowers

Recipe Daily - To Be Read to the Rythm of Knife on Seasoned Cutting Board

"Be adventurous in your selection...choose colors and varieties that are
unfamiliar to you. You will enjoy immense pleasures in the exploration
."
- Gary Ibsen & Dagma Lacey of Organic Heirloom Tomato Seeds
Begin cutting your tomato into small chards.
Marianna's Peace,
Julia Child,
Sunset's Red Horizon
.
Inhale your tomato with great force.
Big Boy,
Bigger Boy,
Biggest Boy
.
Step out into the wide, wide world
out the front door,
past the lighted doorbell.
Write a poem on a chunk of wood.
Plan to pray a little.
Respect your fear of fire
and all manner of things hot.
C'est tres chaud, n'est pas?
Ask a neighbor to set your words alight.
Blaze into tomorrow,
into your flourescent-bulb kitchen
with spirit,
with knife,
with tastebuds renewed,
tiny black seeds burning holes
on your tongue.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Carolee said...

great job getting back into poetry thursday! I'm hopeful for my own resurrection, but it may not mean a poem this week. next week perhaps? who knows? the gods could surprise me. the deer may give you back your tomato blossoms.

i really liked the concept of writing a poem on a block of wood, listing the kinds of tomatoes, and considering rushing back to the kitchen as blazing into tomorrow.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I have to admit that I loath raw tomatoes but love sauce.

A great poem about cooking in the moment.

Brian

9:56 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I love tomatoes and really enjoyed this poem.

10:33 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

and they ate my cilantro and my radishes... before i got off my butt and put in a fence!!!!!!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

I think tomatoes are just perfect... but I have a feeling, or at least your poem speaks to me, of something more than just tomatoes!
I loved it!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I love tomatoes, too, but this was about life and every word added to the others. Now, there must be a block of wood somewhere close by...

12:27 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I love tomatoes. I liked the title very much.

This poem has so many layers to it.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Wonderful poem and try "liquid Fence" for the pesky deer.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Tomatoes are my favorites - I think I would like to write a poem on wood. This is a wonderful poem -

3:27 PM  
Blogger Sherri B. said...

What a wonderful poem with so many different levels of meaning. Thank you for sharing!

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home