jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My Life in Stories: The List

I love lists. List poems. Lists in the middle of a piece of good fiction. Lists open you up to new worlds, all in the span of a few lines. If a list is really descriptive, you can almost write the whole poem, story, paint the whole picture, all in your imagination. Watch...

long-haired calico cat
fire whistle
sirens
fire trucks
cartoon brat
freshly dug earth
grass in need of mowing
traces of the stench of dying raccoon.

This is a list of the sounds and scenes around me right now. Did you get a mental picture? Did a poem form inside your head? A picture behind your eyelids?

Ah well. I like lists. So, I am officially throwing my hat in the ring of Shelley's My Life in Stories Project.

Here's the start of my story list. When I find out how to make a separate page on my blog, I will.

The List:

1. My first cat. My eleventh. Stay with me while I unravel the mystery of my cat obsession.

2. How I, a mere nine-year-old, walked on hot coals.

3. Don't talk to strangers: or, how a bright, inquisitive, peace-loving journalism student wound up next to the head of the KKK on the nightly news.

4. Don't accept candy from strangers: or, how I met my husband.

5. Putting Women's Day to good use: or, to end an argument, just get naked.

6. The Many Ways I've Escaped Danger By My Own Reckless Hands: or, Do German girls really have hot tempers?

7. I was fourth runner-up & I dreamed it would happen.

8. It's Not Polite to Budge: or, A Reformed Concert Crasher, Bathroom-Line-Jumper Attempts top Teachj Her Son Manners

9. The night I had my picture taken with Elvis' original band, I met the man of my dreasm, but I think he was a drug-runner & he eventually disappeared

10. Finishing the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Dead Last & Oh, 9 Months Pregnant.

11. Snooping at Tens-Years-Old, I Discover My Mother's Lingerie, Her Birth Control Pills, and Vow, Never, Ever to Use Either

Since 11 is my lucky number, I think I will stop here. I sure have my writing work cut out for me. I don't even know where to start...

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolee said...

this is a great list!!! i can't wait to read them. did you email shelley or leave her a comment? she'll be so thrilled to add you to her list of psychopaths, i mean life story-ers.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Wahooo! Jill, I am so excited to add you to the august list of clever people who have figured out that they ARE their stories!

Check it out: Your Life in Stories

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought that lists were just a guy thing! This one's a classic.

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiel Aisha Ansari and I, Mike McCulley, have created a 'poetry exchange' blog at Totally Optional Prompts , and you are invited to participate.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

This is a great list. I'll be looking for the stories. A few of them left me feeling disappointed the story didn't immediately follow.

I'm in need of inspiration right now; think I'll go make a list.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home