jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Stop me if you've heard this one

I planned on posting my average writing from my stellar date with Polkadot Witch last week. Then I was reading some Mary Oliver. Somewhere she mentioned necks, or breathing, and then I remembered some repeated things I've heard lately. So I wrote a new poem. I think it could be so much better if I wasn't watching tv out of the corner of my eye while I write. What can I say. My son starts first grade tomorrow. I'm nervous. I want to simulataneously be creative and escape from the world. Hmmm...wonder if this poem has some relation to that? Any poetry therapists out there? I am definitely a firm believer in poetry reflecting life, no matter the prompt.

I Think I Must Have Been Hanged in Another Life

Everyone says this.
My husband moans,
grabs at his bulging neck
when wearing a tie.
My mother pales, shrugging
off a turtleneck.
Strangers, standing too close,
waiting for the first hot scald
down the throat
at the coffee shop sigh,
beg pardon for the scarf
thrown off sweaty necks
into my upturned face.
Is this the thread tugging
me down, down, down?
Is the subtle itch
on the bottom of my foot
a fiber holding fast to terra firma?
The cough that comes up from nowhere
a tickle really. No more than a web
in the throat, a daddy long legs
wrapping and unwrapping,
maybe even a witch’s spell.
Loosen up. Uncross wide end
over narrow, lead down through loop.
Not everyone needs neck wear.
Reach up. Untie the knot.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Cohen said...

"Reach up. Untie the knot."

Niiice! Really enjoyed this one. And you 1st grader will be just fine. I have one starting middle school and one starting high school today! Yikes!

Happy Poetry Thursday!

10:13 AM  
Blogger January said...

I always write with baseball or some other distraction on in the background. Somehow it helps me to focus.

This poem works from the title on. The subject fits the form perfectly. If you do another draft I'd love to see where you take it.

And let us know how you're son's first day went. I'm sure it will be fine.

11:44 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I listen to music while writing. That keeps me focussed!

I too hate anything constricting my neck. I can relate to this.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

I think it's wonderful- and revealing. My husband can't stand anything around his neck as well.
If you write this well with the TV on- whoo!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love the level of detail in this poem -- it is very sensory and specific. Well done!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

you do this really well ... webs ... threads ... so easy for me to fall into the mundane or the overdone but you are a pro! a stealth! you wove it in so beautifully!

p.s. ladies, let's not forget that yes, TV as background AND children noises AND the horrible noises that i make back at them. aaaaah. this is the poet's life .... bliss!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Love the title and the first line, especially.

If we ever do a line-share-prompt again would you float "Everyone says this" out there?

I thought it was menopause-neck. I have recently--and violently--been unable to stand a collar at my throat.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Your descriptive phrases paint a picture - and the final line is wise and wonderful.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Loved that cough from nowhere, a web in the throat, the daddy longlegs bit. Of course, it was fine all the way through! As always.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Left-Handed Housewife said...

I tried leaving you a comment earlier today, but I guess it didn't take (I'm glad I checked back!). It's great to meet another left-hander with morning anxiety and a yen for poetry! I used to write a lot of poetry (got the MFA and everything) and listened to lots of music while I wrote. Now I write fiction and have to have silence. I think there are too many holes in my brain now to have music and write. Your poem today is wonderful. I was happy to read it. See you again soon--Frances

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home