jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Winter haiku

Did you ever have a feeling you just couldn't express? I thought I'd try haiku to tease the words out, to try and put into words how this odd northern winter weather makes me feel, how snow is a comfort I welcome, how I enjoy being forced to stay inside. I'm a northern girl at heart, but I just can't get to the heart of this... grr...

Squirrels dart through woods,
rain erases snow and ice,
wet breakfast revealed.

Dear Mother Nature,
January rain feels hot.
Each drop scalds my face.

In a warm winter
rivers run, ice relaxes,
I still stay inside.

When snow melts too soon
your heavy blanket falls off,
you are still frozen.

Birds welcome warm air
fog is poor snow replacement
nature disappoints.

Heavy rain, wind gusts
neighborhood cats sleep outside.
This is not winter.

Rain on bare branches
sun turns drops into diamonds
jewels dance in wind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine Swint said...

I like the winter scene - wet but cold, melting ice, squirrels -good stuff.

I nominated you and witchy for a blogging award.

11:20 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Oh my gosh! Wow. Thanks! Tell me more...

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Gerald C said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this blog, thanks for sharing.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home