jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

NaPoWriMo #26

Nose to the Ground

When she had a dog
he would lead her to the dead.
Now she tromps in search of rot alone.
She does not tell her husband.
She does not bring the children.
She goes alone in search
of what winter left behind.
Dried bones put a skip in her step,
walking trail
head on a swivel
lifting stones with boot toe
kicking rotten limbs with heel
both feet hoping
for a tuft of fur
and beneath that
bits of flesh.

When I was a child,
hikers found a dead body
in the woods near my summer home.
A sad man, killed by his lover, hauled
up from the city to the country.
I wanted to be the one
to find the next big news story.
My greatest wish,
to find a decaying body
missing hands,
feet and head.
Remnant of a homicide maybe.

Do not think less of us.
We do not wish for death,
do not wish for people to die.
But people die,
people kill,
and we have but to look
and remember.

I have not found
the woman. I have seen
her. She looks just like me.
You might remember us both.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

well that was sincerely dark for you... oh i loved it.....

9:58 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I haven't always commented, but I've been reading and admiring what you've done this month. I finally acknowledged National Poetry Month today, and linked to you. Thanks for all the poems. This one is remarkable. Thank you.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have a graveyard right behind our backyard and we have found odd items there every now and again. The last time it was a black silk scarf wrapped around cut-off chicken legs which were wrapped up by a photo of some young woman. I do not think it looked like how I imagine you look :-)!! My dog is in love with it and the girls and I have to drag his 60# butt far away from "VoodooSpot."

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PS. Just read this in TIME magazine, used the line in something I wrote today, but thought of you also--
"There are those--soldiers and nurses, poets and priests--for whom death is a sure companion." (Nancy Gibbs, essay in TIME, May 5,2008)

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wanting to be the next to uncover the breaking news is spectacular, not only b/c it's true on the surface level, but also because of what it means to make such a discovery. that feeling of being special amidst so much vulgar stuff. great piece.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home