jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

NaPoWriMo #20 - Just Can't Get Enough of Those Prose Poems!

The Greatest Show in the World, or: The Wife Shares Her Deepest Fears

The truth is, I know you are the ringmaster. When the children and I pack up the wagon and head north for vacation, I know you pull the other family out of your hat. Dark-haired magician, you swing your red cape around that swarthy neck, doff your top hat, pull a rainbow bouquet of carnations out of thin air and take your rightful place under their big top. Step right up. You wouldn’t want to miss it. See the other woman’s bedroom set. Feel the real silk of her negligee. Mysterious. Surprising. I’m glad you’re all here. Let’s hear it for the amazing and talented mistress and her truly spectacular children. I know it’s hard to believe. Difficult, but not impossible. You’ve all heard of the man with another family. Difficult, but not impossible. Not as tricky as sawing the pretty assistant in half. Give me that saw. Is that a hand saw or a hack? Never mind the incredible disappearing family. They will return soon enough. Pay no attention to those 2.5 children behind the curtain. Keep your eyes on the other woman. Feast your eyes on the severed arms, waving hello. Waving hello, not dying. Step right up. You wouldn’t want to miss it.

******************************************************************

I have crossed to the other side--the prose poem side. It just feels right. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, or if the form suits the subject, but it just feels right. This poem started to come in "regular" poem form, but then it seemed to morph into a prose poem. I welcome thoughts/comments/critique.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger January said...

I don't think there's a wrong way to write a prose poem. And this does seem like a good form for the subject. Very nice.

Keep those (prose) poems coming!

5:06 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

well i think both of them are excellent.. i love the personal feel you gave them... just perfect for th form....

8:37 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Thanks, guys! Here's another question. Why prose form? I wonder why poets choose to write a poem in prose form, across the page, instead of in the traditional shorter lines? More conversational, maybe? Stream of consciousness?

9:34 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

you and jo made me hungry for a piece of prose poetry.. wanted to share it with you.....

as the dust swirled

9:06 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

this is a great subject for a poem.

for me, i write prose poems sometimes if the line breaks i'm making seem forced/arbitrary. or if i want more of a stream of consciousness "feel" to the read. sometimes, the way it looks like a story also makes it feel more like a story -- heavier on the page. it's useful sometimes.

does any of that make sense?

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home