jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

NaPoWriMo #16 - Another Prose Poem

Following the LaChute

The water is louder than our words, more powerful than a pillow on a face. We can not hear ourselves breathe, can not feel the steady rhythm of our footsteps on the nature trail. Our eyes roam, light up when we find an unscuffed sneaker bottom side up in a tide pool. My son rushes to the other side of the foot bridge, spies the equally white mate, and the mother load—black pants and a wet pair of wool socks. I wonder if this is a phase, this obsession with death. Guns fashioned from Legos, sticks, digits, limbs. Constant talk of bad guys, blood, jail, death and dying. A phase, I wonder, or a premonition. Does he know when we are all going to die? Does he know we are all going to die? Has he, in his six years on earth, been granted vision? I drive him to the cemetery. If we cannot find a dead body in the river, we will certainly have more luck among the stones. We find long-lost uncles, three of them. He adds their dates. Figures before I can that his great-grandmother was just seventeen when she gave birth. Just seventeen when she had a funeral for her first child. Just what is it, again, we can learn from children?

**************************************************************************


Here's the thing. I'm not crazy about this first draft, but as first drafts go, I;m pretty pleased. Does that make sense? I considered, again, posting a poem written in late March. But, I really feel like if I miss a day of writing a new poem, I will miss something valuable. So, while this may not be the best poem I've ever written, it is a start. And I can go from here. And I will always remember this day.

Here's a question...what to do with all these drafts? Is anyone interested in starting a blog post-April to work on drafts? We can come up with a clever title and post the poems we liked from NaPo, the ones we would like more help shaping, forming, editing. Hmmm....? Anyone?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

i for one thoroughly enjoyed this.. it brings to mind something i have heard several times in this life,, that children,, being ever so much closer to the "last incarnation" can remember,, and make so much more sense out of death, and life than can adults who's minds have been polluted with religion and science and other theories.. that in the mind of a child,, all of those things are real,, and make sense,, because they still know the truth when they see it...

10:42 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

there's a lot of powerful stuff in this poem! wow.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I read this quickly and gotta go, I'll be back....but I would love a post-April drafting party/blog. I'd love an opinion outside the voices in my head :-).

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Love it, I'm totally into prosepoems at the moment and this has that lovely lilting song.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home