jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

NaPoWriMo #17 - oh so rough!

Beloved Mother (an exhausted title, written by a mother on vacation with two young children who never tire)

Is there a name for a mother
who takes her children cemetary

hopping on vacation?
Mother-who-courts-ghosts,

maybe? She is a family woman
earthed in tradition and roots.

This is a family reunion
no-one need bring a casserole.

Mother-born-old? Brought up
herself among the stones,

spending holidays delivering
flowers to the dearly departed,

listening quietly to old stories
of older people, strangers, really.

Her people, his people, born, married
died. Where is their plot?

Is there a plot to this tale?
I know this much, my place

will rest with my mother
who rests with her mother.

We will be the-mothers-who
rest together. Come visit.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolee said...

this may be rough but i can see you all there playing among the stones. i can see you connected to your lineage by how its buried.

as someone who's barely ever stepped foot in a cemetery, it's very interesting and even romantic. is that weird of me?

11:45 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

not weird at all. i love going to the cemetary. we've been to two this week. my relatives are spread all around the town. my mother even showed me their plot, the spot marked by 4 stone letter "c"s. i know there are many more poems in my love of cemetaries, as well as my son's. bizarro, i know.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have great travel/vacation blog !!!

Find vacation rentals in worldwide directory
HolidayHomes.ca sell time share
Thank you!!!

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home