jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Breakfast with Moriah: NaPoWriMo #2


Watch any plant or animal and let it teach you
acceptance of what is, to surrender to the Now. Let it teach
you being…how to live and how to die.
- Eckhart Tolle

I stop watering the plants to watch
what the wind has blown in.
A chipping sparrow breakfasts
at our battered green feeder,
one seed at a time. So many shakes
of his feathered hat to shiver the kernels down.
Because old men eating alone make my heart hurt,
I put my coat and feathers on,
bare my toes to grip a branch
when I notice he is not alone.
They call the wind Moriah.
Gusty waitress, she has pushed
another customer in the wings,
a fine red cardinal. Expecting a bluster
of twittering from the showy diner
I am surprised to find him mildly riding
the waves of the day’s brash weather,
waiting to eat. I shrink to the level
of my cat. Watch the sparrow settle in,
rest in the lip of the feeder.
The cardinal waits.
The sparrow rests.
I watch.
I watch.
I do not know whose heart sinks lower
the wind’s,
the cat’s,
or mine, when the birds fly off.

8 Comments:

Blogger gkgirl said...

this line:

"Because old men eating alone make my heart hurt,"

stopped me and made me stand still
for a second...
in a good way...

i really liked this!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I did, too! But then, I always DO!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

i love the wind as a gusty waitress!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Allyson said...

I agree, the wind as a waitress is an excellent touch.

2:19 PM  
Blogger January said...

I love this all the way through, esp. this, " put my coat and feathers on,
bare my toes to grip a branch"

12:38 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

some very wonderful lines and an overall sense of gratitude and wonder... i really enjoyed this...

12:50 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yes, the wind as a waitress, great. And I love cardinals.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

the final line, "I do not know whose heart sinks lower the wind’s,
the cat’s, or mine, when the birds fly off." really poignant!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home