jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Friday, February 29, 2008

My newest patchwork poem

Can You Believe God Opened Up the Heavens and Adam Appeared?

To count the stitches
at the moment of my birth,
she opens her window.
It’s either fable or truth and that’s based on your perception.

Thirty years fighting
the framework,
made fat on childhood dreams.
Only an arithmetic sound of rain falling
at the moment of my birth,
her view skewed by splashes of rain.

Tendrils of thread
tweedy beneath my fingers
like a cocoon of wet cotton wool.
To count the stitches,
drop stitches. Leave holes.
It is a dive into the unknown.

***

This poem was written using lines from the following poets: mariacristina, Gautami, paisley, Lirone, writerwoman, Scott and lissa.

For more patchwork poems, visit patchwork poetry. If you like what you see, or you want to try your hand, join us next week as we pony up poems for use in the next round of patchworking!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine Swint said...

I'm reading this poem as if it were written from Adam's point of view. To me it reads aas if he were musing about his mother. Am I reading it correctly?

I have the impression that he doesn't believe the story of his birth, or that he isn't sure.

I love how you put these lines together. They flow so smoothly. I like being able to imagine what Adam must be thinking.

This process has helped me open up my imagination, and take greater leaps, an aspect of your writing I've already admired. Thanks, Jill!

11:27 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

i especially like the last stanza... the way it centers around "the fabric of our lives" without ever really saying so... very clever...

12:06 PM  
Blogger Birdsword said...

I really enjoyed reading this poem. I t appears from what maria cristina wrote to my read to be so open to interpretation. I really enjoyed the last stanza. I felt as if I could touch the fabric of the poem.

1:19 PM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

The last stanza is my favorite. It resonates.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home