jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Write about stealing something

It's Wednesday, the day after confession Tuesday. It's no confession that I didn't confess yesterday. Still, I like the list-making, write from the top style of confession Tuesday, so here I go. Oh, with a little help from A Writer's Book of Days. How appropriate that today's prompt is write about stealing something! Not that I have stolen anything.

1. I saw some girls in the Dollar Store trying to shoplift. The items were not important, they were toys, I think, and these girls were teenagers. They brought me back to my own foolish teenage years, doing the same thing in Ames with the mill manager's daughter. My best friend in 9th grade was one of the richest girls in the small mill town I grew up in. Neither of us needed to steal. We just liked the thrill of doing it. Shame on us in our blue eyeshadow and jean jackets. The gold hoop earrings turned our ears green. The thrill of getting away with something set us on fire.

2. I stood at the end of the Dollar Store aisle while my daughter looked at dolls and watched the teenage girls. I let them see me watching them. So foreboding amI with my blond bob and flowered scarf that they ran off. They came back and I was still there, staring. What is with me? Who do i think I am? Sheriff of Dollar Tree?

3. I'm pretty sure if I saw someone committing a real crime, like, say, beating up someone, I would call the police. I really don't like all the 20/20 shows or reality shows about people behaving badly, the premise being, "What would you do?" However, it does pose an interesting question. What would you do if... Great poem prompt!

4. I am studiously avoiding my new book, Non-Verbal Learning Disorder at Home. I read that it is a severe disorder that will affect him the rest of his life. It is a result of damage to white matter. Who damaged his white matter? Was it me? Or is it gray matter? Maybe that's why I don't want my husband to buy me a new Pathfinder that is gray.

5. It could be worse. It could always be worse.

6. When I was lying in the hospital room after I had my son, I saw Jesus. The room was dim. My husband and my mom had just left, the baby was in the nursery, and I was a little afraid to be alone. I looked up and Jesus was standing at the foot of my bed and he made me feel less afraid. Now, I am not a "religious" person. I have never seen Elvis. Although I did see Brian Setzer from the Stray Cats once, playing his bass on a random street corner in La Jolla once. And I did get a stuffed bear from Charlie Daniels at a country fair once. I wish I could see Jesus again, just to ask him for the real story. I feel so lost lately. I'm sure he could help me with that. And I wouldn't have to pay him.

7. It's Easter time, so our church is showing clips of The Passion. I can watch Jesus do miracles, even though lepers are gross. I can not watch the crucifixtion, the whipping, the dragging of the cross on his shoulders, the hanging there. Can't do it. I've never seen that movie, the one everyone saw and everyone debated about. I hate cruelty.

8. Looking out my window, the two green plastic swing seats on the swing set are moving. I wonder who was sitting there?

9. This feels pretty melancholy. Let me liven it up. Let's talk Spongebob. I never thought he was so bad for my kids. Until the other day. I had just put braids in my daughter's hair. Everyone says she looks just like me. When I was two, I had braids. She looked adorable. We were peeling carrots in the kitchen, listening to the Dixie Chicks. "Let's rock this clubhouse!," she yelled. How cute, I thought! Then she spun on her heel, threw a glance over her shoulder, said, "I'll kick your butt tomorrow," and sauntered out of the kitchen. Thank you Spongebob. Anyone seen the Flats the Flounder episode?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

How very cool! He helps just by being there and our journey is where the answers are.

I'm not religious, have not seen Elvis but I met Steven Spielburg. ;)

I watched Sponge Bob with my 2yr old grandson...yucky! lol

Great post!

4:06 PM  
Blogger January said...

I think it's good that you made your presence known to the girls. Maybe they'll think twice about stealing.

I think winter magnifies the feeling of being lost. Ennui? It could always be worse, but it always gets better.

Sorry, I'm an eternal optimist.

Great post.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

this list is proof that your pondering stuff and that's a good sign for poetry in your life.

that book about the learning disability does sound daunting. i wonder how it would read if a poet wrote it and not a doctor/scientist/therapist/educator ...

i don't know if i've seen the spongebob episode you mentioned but the atlantis squarepantis movie has a great series of scenes in it about 'what is art'.

i love spongebob and the simpsons. my kids have been exposed to both. maybe i'll never get to heaven and see jesus. :) i may, however, spend eternity with elvis

9:10 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

i really enjoyed this post jill... i love being personally involved.. i feel it adds depth to my reading,, as i can better understand the other poets roots.. where they are coming from,,, what makes them tick.. if they intersperse the dialogs with humanity,,, thank you for this...

10:39 PM  
Blogger Linda Jacobs said...

Ah, you have A Writer's Book of Days, too, I see! I love that book. I guess that's why we both did the moon story thing. I use it a couple times a week.

Even your prose is poetic! You are such a good writer! I enjoyed this confession.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

To the Sheriff of Dollar Tree: I am sorry your life has taken an unexpected and difficult turn. You will all grow, but it's hard, I know.
It hurts to have to bend, and stretch, and use unused muscles.

I *heart* you, I *heart* your poetry, always! Keep the faith.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

Jill, I love this list! There are about one hundred poems in these words.

My youngest son used to watch Spnge Bob when he was in third grade, and then my nephew watched it when he was around four or five. He's Bob Esponja in Spanish. I don't like Sponge Bob at all. I just don't find him funny. It's creepy to me, like the Adams family. He needs a mother to set him straight.

I'm used to being the crotchety authoritarian around teenagers, sinceI was a high school teacher for so long. I quit teaching right around the time when I started getting a thrill out of catching them doing "bad" stuff.

As far as your son's disability goes, have hope! I don't know what his learning difficulty is, but educators are making great strides in all areas of learning disabilities.

My friend's son was diagnosed with autism when he was three, but because of early and intense intervention, he has been successful in school, and is about to graduate from high school. He's a sensitive, good, handsome young man.

Thanks again for your list.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home