jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Monday, April 14, 2008

NaPoWriMo #14

The Woman Who Rolled Back the Boulder to Discover the Empty Tomb Must Have Been Surprised

For an instant I am convinced
a squirrel is attacking a blue jay,
tussling for life
or hidden nuts
behind the old canoe
in the back of the backyard.
Gray head bobbing
furred tail fluttering
blue wings waving
(not drowning)
for help.
Then flies in a second bird.
For a longer instant
I am convinced
the pair,
matched or mixed,
I can’t be sure,
are having sex in front
of the old canoe.
Tangling in the brittle branches
of last year’s Christmas tree.
How fresh.
I open my back door.
Invite them to get a room.
A single shriveled leaf flutters
just past the door frame.
Thin dead branches dance
over the old canoe.
The door blows shut.
I am convinced.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

just tell me they were not having sex in front of the squirrel...

10:07 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

This made me laugh! I wonder if it's being an artist, or having young children, that makes one see the world all cockeyed sometimes. But the title brings the poem into a more streamlined focus, and I have to ask, what the heck did those women see?
Great job!

I'm having fun catching up on all your delicious poems.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home