jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

NaPoWriMo #9: A Companion Piece to NaPo #8 (see below)


This Morning

All the fish I have flushed
came burbling up the drain.
Fancy goldfish, feeder fish,
tetras, mollies, a rainbow of betas.
The bathroom is awash in toilet water
and resurrected fish. I called
out to Jesus, asked if this was a sign.
Something told me to turn on the shower.
I duck out of my pajamas
slip on my fins
spend the day chasing errant scales,
swallowing transparent bubbles.
If this is my death
I am ready to swim.

*********************************************************

Pretty sure these two poems are connected. Do you see it?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

there is an errant sense of reality in here.. i think some of the stuff you are posting for napowrimo is the best stuff i have ever read from you..... have you been saving it all up all year????????

12:22 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

I am telling you, it's the dailt writing practice. I have become a firm believer in writing every day. When you sit down and let it out, you never know what's going to come out. And I used to be a wait around for the muse kind of girl. Even if it's not great stuff, I FEEL more creative!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

the two poems are related, huh? i've been thinking about it and it's not obvious to me. so i've been thinking about it some more and i can stretch some but am fearful i'm missing what you see ... are you going to tell us? or make us suffer?

5:46 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Well...I said "pretty sure" which translates, in jill-speak, to I think they might be! I was probably subconsciously asking for help figuring it out. I'm a mom, afterall, very tricky like that!

I think the relation may just be the speaking to God aspect. or the imagining God into the real world aspect. Yes, that's probably it. Bringing God into the real world. God/Jesus.

9:21 AM  
Blogger January said...

Great imagery. I mean, the fish returning to the scene of the crime in so yik!

And you absolutely feel more creative when you can write daily.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Hope all is going well with your dad. I agree with paisley--I love these new poems so much, and you know how I love he old ones!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Love the last two lines, nope, I love the whole thing.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home