jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

NaPoWriMo #11 - A Patchwork Poem

She Had Fended Off Their Suasion

How do I outrun
ancient urges to procreate?
When you are eighteen, you think like this.
Surprisingly, you are a goat.
Revolution,
revolution.
Crowds smother the sidewalks,
tearing through barbed wire.
Is there a difference
as I walk the streets,
flesh sold for a pittance
of cola cans, candy wrappers, plastic garbage?
You never knew it,
me
a single, freckled sylph
covering the hemisphere.
I cursed both God and man,
in every pore and every nerve.
And why do I bathe
the bellowing beasts?
When you are eighteen, you think like this.
Is there a difference?

******************************************************

The lines for this piece came from poems by paisley, mariacristina, Lirone, writerwoman, Lissa & Gautami. Stop by Patchwork Poetry for more cool poems!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

very interesting compilation of the lines.. i do like this pairing in particular:

And why do I bathe
the bellowing beasts?

7:18 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

You capture the crazed mind of an adolescent, hell bent on discovering the pavements of the universe. Well done, Jill! Very satisfying in its free-form flow of images, and amazingly enough, very you. I like.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Cool idea. I am trying to do a similar piece with lines from old sonnets. I haven't been to your Blog in a long time. Were you gone for quite a while? A while back.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Lirone said...

Some brilliant combinations of lines - the first four lines work really well together, and I like the pittance of cola cans and the bathing of the bellowing beasts...

I get the feeling you had fun writing this one!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home