jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

NaPoWriMo #10

Pre-Planning My Funeral

Have the party in my backyard
on a day with a slight breeze,
no, make that a stiff breeze,
the grass not green but crisp, yellow,
with just a hint of renewal.
I would like my daughter to troll the crowd
with her pink plastic microphone, shouting
three minutes to bedtime!
A little alarm is good for a funeral,
lighten the mood. I will want a good band.
A trio of high-stepping, fiddle playing girls,
wailing melodious about the man they should have married,
the cowboy who dropped his Stetson to earth
on his way to heaven. Be sure to send Jesus an invitation.
He doesn’t have to show up in costume.
Maybe He could stand in the crowd,
dressed as my only long-haired boyfriend,
the one with a motorcycle and a passion
for kittens, Chinese take-out and sightless women.
There will be food.
Casseroles.
I’d like the dinners-in-a-dish served
by a cluster of June Cleavers,
decked out in pearls and plaid aprons.
At the end,
as the chanteuse reaches her high note
a murder of crows can carry the amens
to the clouds,
along with plaster casts of my arms and hands,
silver rings and bangle bracelets blinding the mourners below.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh. bizarr-o! But fun to read!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

i was lead here by an email in which you warned me that something mediocre was posted here. i don't see it!

this is a wonderful account of what would otherwise be a dark, dark day.

and you inspired my napowrimo piece for today. it's about those you, personally, leave behind. like me.

maybe we could do a book of these bizarre responses to each others' bizarre poems. :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love it...Really i do. I would pick out specific lines to emphasize, but I can't take them away from the whole.
Would like to RSVP right now to attend, if you'll RSVP for mine. Inappropriate shoes for the occasion is a must.

3:58 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

you guys are too kind, really! i will have to make sure my husband knows all of your names and addresses, just in case, if ever the need should arise.

pdw: i would love to write companion bizarr-o pieces.

shiny objects...i will wear flip-flops, hows that?

9:17 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

Another amazing poem. I love going on these rides. These are the kinds of poems I want to read. Where can I find more of you out there? Really.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home