jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Further Adventures of Superhero Girl


It is not all glory.
Despite brief sightings
of white doves and their tail feathers,
peace is not at hand

and no one loves a good girl.
All criminals can not be identified
by their striped uniforms.
Mischief may arrive
in the form of apples,
black cats
or broken mirrors,

more often, though, evil smiles.
Beware the doppelganger
in the broken mirror. Four lips
is not the prelude to a kiss.

There are not enough girl superheroes.
Not enough long legs
in tights, not enough flesh protected
by swirling capes.

When a lover tells you, I’d steal
the stars from the sky for you
,
give thanks.

Hold up your cape
(never, never trip on it)
Shout POW! in all capital letters
Shout BAM!
Put the stars right here!

People will try to steal
all that you love. Disappear
in a cloud of dry ice
before they can pin anything on you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Gir power! This makes me smile and it makes me proud to be a woman- always struggling but with an inner reserve of strength that we can harness if we just dig deep enough and listen to the voice in our heart, instead of other people's voices in our heads.

This poem will be linked to tommorow at Poets Who Blog.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent! I really like the reference to the doppelganger in the broken mirror.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever. I'm a sucker for superhero themes, but "Shout POW! in all capital letters" was particularly nice.

3:30 AM  
Blogger susan said...

WOW! can't say more at the moment.

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home