jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

Kiss Me, Monk, Again Before the Silence Kills Us Both: A Love Poem Written During One Of Those Mythical Long Walks On the Beach

In the wind, the floating bridge is no more
than a fat tightrope. Quite remarkable:
fish jumping out of the water onto the beach.

In the ballet studio, she sat in the center
a dozen reflections of herself crying.
In the ballet studio, the boy was safe.

When caught kissing the tree, he refused
to pull the bark from his lips.
A monk would never swing a sword. Never
say "I'll kill you." I saw the two of them kissing,
and I did not turn away. Send a thousand white balloons
floating. Bridge the time until wishes come true.

To the remarkable fish, a thousand kisses,
each wet as his scales.

*************************************************************************

Last week's prompt at Read Write Poem was to take five lines from a favorite poem, or five lines from five different poets, then use them in a poem. Well, I took five phrases from David Shumate, prose poet extraordinaire, and shared them with my pal Carolee. We each wrote five lines with the five phrases, then worked them into a poem. And this is what I got.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is beautiful! you always piece everything together so cleverly.

i took an easy way and cheated ... the result isn't nearly as stunning.

from working with you at patchwork, i have learned that it works best when you don't cheat. what was i thinking?

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about cheating.....I just know I love all three pieces...each very different but linked, and lovely....and disturbing. Kisses wet as scales is a gorgeous line, as is the tightrope bridge.....I am just reading poetry book The Tightrope Wedding by Michael Laskey and tightropes are much on my mind. How weird you guys have one too.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Remarkable! I love this poem, Jillypoet! Did I tell you I bought two of your books, and they are marvelous!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

And, Carolee, too! Didn't mean to leave you out of the praise....

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sense of resignation coupled with hope in this. But it's not an easy hope it's "remarkable." Well done.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home