jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Poetry Gong - Poem 24

Let’s Be Blood Sisters


No sweeter words
will ever pour
from the porcelain cup
of third grades’ most popular girl.
In her perfectly pleated plaid pants
and J.C. Penney sweater vest
she is a tea party with tiny cakes,
the slight hole in the piñata,
the first lick
up the cold side
of an Eskimo pie.

You have no fear
of knives,
..........(Friends for life.)
scissors,
..........(Just you and me.)
needles
or pins.
..........(Our secret club.)
You do not cry
..........(Do you want to?)
when you scrape your knee,
when the bike skids
out from under you,
when the swing kicks
you flat on your back.
..........(Yes or no?)

You’d never be caught
dead in a plaid skirt.
Your sweaters wrap
round you like a blanket,
hang past your knobby wrists.
You can’t remember today
if she spoke your name yesterday.
Has she ever breathed
your whole name through
lips thin as spun sugar?

You love the pouch of her cheeks
the gaze of her too-wide eyes
more than the sting of hot lunch
alone at the empty lunch table,
more than the weight of
a whisper on your flaming ears.

There is blood enough for everyone,
pour yours in a tea cup,
toast your good fortune.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so moving. Wonderful work.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, you blow me away. Fantastic. My heart goes out to that little girl with knobby wrists and a hot lunch. Public school kids know what that lunch means. Go love her. What characters you have created.

11:30 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Thanks guys! This is one of those poems that came pretty much unbidden--I was just the vehicle for it.

Ironically, I worked at my son's school today, doing the school store in the cafeteria, and I saw that girl with the knobby wrists and hot lunch. She was kind of chubby and wore her coat on her head. I love watching the dynamics of elementary kids, but sometimes they make my heart hurt!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home