jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Cento & A Fun Poetry Challenge

A cento, also known as a patchwork poem, is a poem stitched together from other people's poems. A while back, at the collaborative poetry site, we offered lines of our poetry to each other to piece together bold, new poems. It was a refreshing challenge, a really nice way to play with other people's words, yet create something original. Collaborating opens new worlds. It's good like that.

If you would like to try this, place a link to a poem you'd like to share (along with your name, of course!) in the comments section of this post. Keep checking back to gather your poems & lines. Next week on Patchwork Thursday, you can post links to your centos. Be sure to credit your muses!

Here is mine:

Me and My Shadow

She keeps a long knife in her robes.
I thrust
to parachute behind
an old woman's bosom,
haughty and high.
Perhaps she followed the trail of birds.
Her hands are severed crow's wings
in some teary farewell scene.
My hands in phlanges. I haven't even accounted
for all their weak weight,
like electrical wiring. Nor have I mentioned
my breasts don't feel
like a child unravels in dreams.
All the while, she sharpens her blades.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christine Swint said...

This sounds like fun. Are the lines from this poem from your own poetry, or do they come from the poems of others?

I think I understand, but tell me if I'm wrong: this week we link to a poem we have written, then next week we post the cento we made from the poems of others who linked.

12:33 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

This poem has lines from Dana, Beth, Slynne (soyouthinkican.wordpress.com), and Clare (orphans of dark and rain). You're not supposed to use lines from your own poem (pretty sure I read that somewhere).

Yes! This week link to a poem you'd like people to use. Next week, post/link your cento!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

Okay, here's my link:
Mudman

It's a draft, but there are some interesting lines people can cull.

Your poem sounds like the backdoor to a fable, or a dream. She's a shadow figure to beware of and respect. Intriguing and fun to read and re-read.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Christine Gail said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Christine Gail said...

Christy said...
Count me on this, I am always up for a new challenge.

Here is a link to something of mine newly written.


http://a-mus-ing.blogspot.com/2008/02/freedom.html

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Skylight Contractors Surprise said...

Hello mate nice bblog

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home