jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

from out of the depths of my yellow legal pads


Guts (working title)

I am a mother who has just left her children.
Soon, I will hit the highway,
head north,
set up camp at Fort Ticonderoga.
I am not a soldier,
But a mercenary.
I am at war for peace.
I am fighting for love,
for sneakers tied with two hands on the laces,
for two kids,
six cats,
a turtle, a toad, and a handful of fish.
I will disguise myself
as a camp follower, a suttler,
set up my white tent,
put on my dusty dress, my cinched
bonnet, bring the soldiers
hot rum and biscuits.
Not a hair
will shoot out from my cap.
I will teach soldiers’
children to draw pictures
of bridges and canons,
bloody bodies and bayonets.
I will wash the paint from my hands,
wash the paint from wounded
Indians’ wailing faces, by the shores of Lake Champlain.
I am a mother who leaves her children
almost every day.
Soon I will arrive.
Soon the war will be over,
the revolution just begun.


* This poem was written from a simple prompt at a workshop: tell a lie.

11 Comments:

Blogger paisley said...

a whispered yarn of truth and fallacy... very creative.. i am glad you gave us the back story,, it broadened the spectrum of the poem.....

11:09 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Oh, this one rings of emotion - stirs the heart and soul and leads me around and around - knowing...

1:38 PM  
Blogger Linda Jacobs said...

You've found a way to say what I've been feeling for years: we can't be mothers 24/7! There are other wars to fight and ourselves to save, too!

Every line is perfect in here!

4:47 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

and there is such truth in that powerful lie. Thank you. Wonderful poem.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

I though it was interesting that the narrator leaves her children and sets up camp in a battleground where she teaches other people's children. Talk about weary!

Lots of great images, tastes, sounds.

7:37 PM  
Blogger litlove said...

Just loved this - what a wonderful poem!

3:29 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

This goes through many phases. Raising a whole gamut of emotions. Thanks!

submerge

5:27 AM  
Blogger Jane Doe said...

What a beautiful poem, so vivid, it gave me goosebumps.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Carolee said...

love to see those yellow pad poems brought into the light!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Wonderful, wonderful! I love this one, too.

I have been out of the poetry business for a while, but I want to get back. I tried to leave a BODY poem on RWP, but again, for some reason clicking on my highlighted name takes you to my DASHBOARD. I had this trouble last time I tried to post, too. Anyway. I seem to be too dumb to make a working link. Could you fix it, or remove it, or something? Thanks.

(Last time I bothered ...deb, so I thought I'd bother you this time.)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Also doing it to my comments on christine's column Getting the lead out...my comments lead to my DASHBOARD. (?)

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home