jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

two centos, or: my two cents

Satan Speakes to God (my own title)

It matters not, in which voice life speaks.
I'm waiting now for my tongue,
some time to look
down inside you.
It is impossible to hide,
to split and fangs to grow in,
broken off like sapling twigs.
When people look at you--
a crazy bird, its song like
the dress you're wearing,
there's no turning back.
After an interlude,
bound to the waking world,
grounded firmly,
I fear the chemistry between us.
We seek solace in the tall green,
your backbone rigid like cold soldered steel.
I'm waiting now for my tongue.
I don't want my horns.

Aurora Borealis

In a fierce wind,
he slips into my bed
to gore you.
To ward off the chill
his skin wears a blanket of kaolin.
After an interlude,
through the irises of
an afterthought,
instead his thick arms reach for my body,
the whole damn bottle.
There's no turning back.


I really, really enjoy writing these patchwork poems. I love words, I love imagery, I love implied emotion. If I were a woman who sews, which I am not, I would liken this poetic process to the process of taking bits and pieces of favorite, cast-off clothing and creating a huge quilt. My cousin does that. My mother used to use my favorite old pants and shirts and turn them into pillows. Clearly, I come from a crafty line of women.

I think this recycling of loved objects is why I love collage. I have to use it sparingly in my art classes, because children seem to prefer creating something wholly new and all their own. Sometimes I can ply them with the promise of rifling through all my collections of stuff, but mostly, they roll their eyes and moan, more stuff? Bring on the paints!

I am now wondering just what to do with these poems once they are created. I am considering trying to recreate the theme, or mood in another, new poem using all my own words. I don't know if it is possible. Still, so far, I have really enjoyed the scenes these poem create. Of course, it is the language that contributes to the scene/emotion. Hmmm...

Anyway, here are the poems. Two centos, with lines from polkadot witch's "approach me carefully," Mariacristina's "Mudman," Paisley's "an afterthought," and Christy's "fashionably late." For more patchwork poems, visit Patchwork Thursday

9 Comments:

Blogger Christine Swint said...

Love this process too! Both your poems speak to me in new ways, that are all you. So very interesting.

I'll be back to read again. I came by to get the links to the other poems. Cool stuff. Thanks for offering the opportunity. :)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

my favorite is: "some time to look
down inside you." that's wonderful that it existed inside the other pieces. it's kind of what we did with the whole process!

and i see you used a piece that i didn't use, "fashionably late." i didn't omit it on purpose, i promise! i worked on mine earlier in the week and i don't think the piece was in the mix then.

this is fun.

1:15 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

jill both turned out really well.. in the first one i like the way you repeated the line "i'm waiting for my tongue..." i had thought creating a refrain would be interesting,, but decided not to go with it this time...

this was really a lot of fun.....

1:38 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this!

I'm thinking of an experiment...what if we took the newest poems, theones from this week, and used them to create NEW poems? I know they're the same lines, but maybe we would see and hear them in different ways? I might try it, we shall see...

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An intriguing process.

The aurora must the most mystical of all the natural phenomena.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

These are really fun poems! I must try some.

10:58 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

pepek! it would be great if you joined us! stay tuned for info on where to post your own poems for use in the next patchwork circle!

9:37 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

allright poet friends. i just quickly created a new blog. and by quickly, i mean, i have 20 minutes to get to my studio for a party, but i wanted to get the ball rolling. polkadot witch has offered to tweak the header, and i will work more on format, but fo rnow, find it here...patchwork potery

comments and suggestions welcome! this is a group thing!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

go here and search for "patchwork". some really nice images come up that i could put in your header. search around the site and then email me the item #'s of one or two and i'll make you a header -- oh, and i'll need admin privileges to measure it and plop it in and stuff.

(i should have sent this via email but i'm at the coffee shop and can't send email)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home