jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Patchwork Thursday Poem

Hey! It's Patchwork Thursday. Since I didn't have enough "other people poems" to work with, I used a poem each from five of my favorite poets: Julia Alvarez, Sandra Cisneros, Ana Castillo, Lucia Perillo, and Judith Ortiz Cofer. There is a definite feel to this poem, a haunting, sort of sad tone. Yet, the feminine strength which is one of my favorite aspects of Latina poetry is also present. * (For more info on women poets, check out Poetry Collections by Women.)

It may sound easy, this casting together of disparate lines of other people's poetry, and maybe it is for some, but for me, it is a careful process, much like creating a collage. You can snag a bunch of found objects, slather some glue on them and call it finished, but to give a piece feeling, emotion and cohesion, sometimes you need to sit with all the parts, move them around, and even, sometimes, let them fall where they choose.

If you would like to offer a poem for other poets to work with, leave a link to your poem in the comments section here. If we have at least four poems offered up to work with, next Thursday I will post my new patchwork poem and you all can leave links to your patchwork poems!

No Exit - A Patchwork Poem

There is no exiting unscathed: a delicacy, we say,
by a dozen senoritas
who died a death of voodoo.
How charitable to call it fruit, when almost nothing
improves my bad reputation.
I was born under a crooked star,
and become one with the molecules.
I ask the impossible: love me forever,
a slender girk with a basket
inviting all the demons that reside in dark damp
say-your-last-prayers roads.
Give her instead the kind of nourishment
to be born woman in a family of men.
The delectable stink of danger discovered,
the men lured away to the cities
and only a girl like Eve could be so blank a slate.

14 Comments:

Blogger Carolee said...

i forgot it was thursday. :( i've had a bad few days and feel in a haze so i don't mean to be thick. can you explain how we share each other's work, the timing? do i post a poem of mine this week and as others post their poems create a patchwork piece to post next week and then start again? sorry. i even had trouble remembering three things at the grocery store this morning: cat food, gatorade (for sick hubby) and lunchable (for starving child for whom i do not cook).

12:39 PM  
Blogger susan said...

Kudos Jilly. I don't feel capable of quiliting lines from works. I will try though if there are works to pull from for next week.

I'm a huge Cisernos fan. Love Ortiz and Alvarez's work as well. I'm looking forward to becoming familiar with the other two women, whom I am aware of but I haven't read there work.

Like what you have here. Feels good if that makes sense.

Please stop by for my recent query about women's work.

1:10 PM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Hey pdw, no worries, I'm right there in the haze next to you, but, of course, you can't see me!

Yes. This week put a link to a poem of yours that you would like people to pull lines from.

During the week, check back here to see what other poems have amassed (we only need 4, really...so any more than that is a bonus!). These are the poems you will work with to "patchwork" a new poem.

Next week, post your own patchwork poem--created from other people's poems--on your blog. Leave a link here to tell everyone where to find it.

Maybe I should start a whole new blog...nah! Too much work. Or is it...

Hey, Susan, if you have a poem you'd like people to use, just post a link. No worries. You aren't obligated to create a patchwork poem!

3:34 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

well.. i am glad you contacted me re this as i wanted to try but was unsure of what to do... i will offer this one "an afterthought" it is an exercise i did for the last piaster,, and where as i do not think it fulfilled the requirements there very well,, it does have an abundance of lovely lines in it to choose from....

i will keep an eye out for additional poems here in the comments and then make a patchwork for next week.. this looks like fun......

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

OK. here's one i just did for 3WW. it's very short and it's about being evil. a little -- so it's appropriate that it will be tricky for you to find lines that work with other things. hee heee heee. (that's my witchy laugh)

remember pals, my poems are password protected. email me art [at] polkadotwitch [dot] com if you don't already have it. i use the same one all the time so you only need it the first time!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

Here's mine:

mudman

pdw, I feel thick and hazy too, sooo sleepy. Even green tea and yoga didn't help. All I want to do is hibernate. ZZzzzz

12:58 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

we're getting close to having enough, right?

jill -- do we use some of our own lines, too, or only those from the other poems?

10:23 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

just wanted to let you know about a great giveaway i'm doing at my blog...come check it out. :-) *elizabeth

1:13 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Yes! i think we have enough. Technically, you're not supposed to use your own. But, I'm not one for rules. And you can decide how many lines. The last one I did, No Exit, found it's own length.

10:42 AM  
Blogger jillypoet said...

Here's mine to share. I found the easiest way to do this is to print the poems, highlight a few lines you like in each, the ones that jump out at you on first read, then play around with them. But, again, no hard and fast rules.

Winter Poem

Oh, re: copyright & stuff, if you post it on your blog, please be sure to credit who the lines came from.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Carolee said...

FYI--this exercise kicked my butt. big time! however, i worked at it and i got something that i'm really proud of and i can't wait to share it on thursday. i haven't been this excited waiting for thursday since, well, that other thursday poetry thing. :)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Christine Gail said...

i am dusting this one off for this weeks challenge

http://a-mus-ing.blogspot.com/2007/10/fashionably-late.html

2:53 PM  
Blogger Carolee said...

christy -- i wrote my patchwork poem before you posted your contribution. please don't think i excluded it. :)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous dissertation said...

Very interesting post! Thanks for sharing.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home