jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's Thursday! How 'bout a patchwork poem?

Never the Fish: God Speaks to Mary

Rising caked and scarred, but regal
between Scylla and Charybdis
with the barb in its gill,
she knew nothing of later events.
Be the fisherman,
Blessed Mother. Each
into the water again and again.

Worm. Hook. Line. Reel.
Mythically disproportionate,
sparkling into thousands of pieces,
splinters,
traces,
emitted from the belly of the conch.
She picked pieces with her bare hands.
Men are like this.
For a solid bite pull them in slowly,
wipe the snow from your grave.
Be the fisherman.

*

Oh the joy of patchwork poetry. I love reading people's poems, highlighting the lines that jump out at me, then weaving them into a new piece. The poem seems to write itself.

The lines in this poem are from polkadot witch, paisley, mariacristina, writerwoman, and gautami.

Visit patchwork poetry for more cool poems (and maybe, just maybe, you might like to join us next time...)!

5 Comments:

Blogger Carolee said...

i like the religious theme, god warning mary about men. isn't it cool how we all find something so different!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Christine Swint said...

jilly, I LOVE your poem!I could paraphrase this poem in so many ways, and read it time and time again.

First I read it as the title suggested, then I read it as a woman thinking about her life. The sparkles, splinters, and traces, I imagined simultaneously as fish scales, truth, words, flashes from her life.

Great!

3:13 PM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

Wow. This one has a lot of levels to it. It felt spiritual and also cautionary.

Its amazing to see how these lines lead everyone to different places.

5:26 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

ahhhhh the prodigal "fisher of men"... very nicely done.....

10:12 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I found it steeped in rationality and spritulity. The lines used simply mege into the poem.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home