jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Color Theory, Poetry Goals, Gong Replaced by Castanet



When Mixing Colors, Take Care Not to Let Compliments Mingle

Orange mixed with light blue day,
dark early November air thickened
like the steak some neighbor is cooking
outside, probably wearing a parka--

****************************************************************************

I have been teaching about comlimentary colors a lot lately. There's just something about orange and blue next to each other in a painting. I have one student who prefers to mix them always. Somedays, to a startling, surprising effect.

Since the gong is done, at least for now, I have promised to write 5 poems a week: a mini-gong, a tiny gong, a cymbal, let's say. Or a castanet.

Submitting to four journals in November. Writing 5 poems a week. Editing 2. Reading a poem a day, three times. Once to read, once to listen, once to pick apart with a poet's aplumb. Is that a word?

I need sleep.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we must continue it somehow, you're right. some lingering form. you have so many goals now, better write them down and make them poster-size and post them in a few places! congrats!

1:54 AM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

Nice atmosphere, the BBQ, the alley cat, the sound of fish breathing and plumbing that needs fixing.

2:58 AM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

I see you've been visited by scum, Jilly.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home