jillypoet: mom trying to write

Each day I wish I had invented waterproof sticky notes (for shower inspiration) or pen-friendly diapers to get down all my quirky thoughts that I am sure are relevant and publishable. And so God (actually another writer-mommy) sent me The Blog.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

When to Call a House a Home

A Letter Poem, Responding to Nathan's Security

By day it poses as a subtle ranch
shuttered, mellow, a perfect child

tucked in a church pew.


You should read Nathan's poem. It's language is sparse, concise, not a word out of place. You will not want to move in, however.

I don't know what it is with "the house" as extended metpahor, but it has been making its wretched way into my poetry lately. And I love my little house. Good rule of thumb in poetry: always follow where the muse takes you. Don't ask questions.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great piece! and in your notes at the end, a new poem: "don't ask questions." ready, set, go!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so cool! I love the movement, the ominous "subtle ranch."

10:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Fearsome, Jill. Very good.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a really nice poem, as for me. If I could know how to write college essays in a such a way then I could be the best on course. My parents would be proud of me.

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home